DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to the ev world, but I'm staying up too late at night trying to learn. I've been checking out this forum and other sources (and thoroughly enjoying kiwi's buildup videos:)) and came across these batteries at tekbattery.com. They are expensive ($1000.00 US for the car battery), but lightweight and seemingly very powerful. Any thoughts? If they're bad for ev application, I'd love to know why so I can get better educated. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!
Unless you have boatloads of cash you just don't know where to put, these are too expensive. To have enough capacity for about a 40mile range on an average EV, you'll spend around 100'000$. So for the same price you can get a tesla roadster, and have 250 miles range :D
The discharge current is very impressive, but you really don't need that much. I don't know how much a typical car draws, but I think I read somewhere that (usually) you don't need more than ~2-3C continuous rated battery (again, I'm not sure - please confirm ^^). Usually peak draw is several times more, so that covers accelerations etc.
If you want to get lithium batteries, have a look here. A group purchase of ThunderSky lithium iron batteries (LiFePO4) is being organized. The more we get, the bigger the discount, up to 40%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I just came across them and though, "Gee these seem powerful. I wonder if they're useful for an ev." I ran across that link that you posted a last night. I don't have a donor car yet, but I may try to get in on the group buy if I'm not too late.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts