DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey guys, we are looking for some terminal post covers for our Thundersky lithium batteries. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks
+1 I've seen these covers on installations before but have no idea where people get them from.

Anyone know where to source these covers?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I saw a brilliant idea recently in a picture but I forget where. Anyway, it shows the standard OEM copper bus bar between cell terminals, but they added a section of heat-shrink tubing long enough to cover the whole bussbar including both ends. It was obviously split (or cut out) at the ends on the bottom side as to not interfere with the bussbar/terminal connection, but still covered the bolts and sides. I wish I would have done that before I installed my batteries. I'll post a link if I can remember where I found the picture.

Just happened across the picture! From http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=280092&postcount=47

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I saw a brilliant idea recently in a picture but I forget where. Anyway, it shows the standard OEM copper bus bar between cell terminals, but they added a section of heat-shrink tubing long enough to cover the whole bussbar including both ends. It was obviously split (or cut out) at the ends on the bottom side as to not interfere with the bussbar/terminal connection, but still covered the bolts and sides. I wish I would have done that before I installed my batteries. I'll post a link if I can remember where I found the picture.

Just happened across the picture! From http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=280092&postcount=47

these were mine.... I used old bicycle inner tubes. Its pretty time intensive to make them, but cheap if you use old tubes that have punctures anyway. works ok for stock bolts to protect from the casual dropped wrench perhaps, but I switched to set screws and nuts that stuck up further and didn't work so well....

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Just wondering if this stuff would work.

Sugru

Alternatively a Make Your Own Substitute.

I was given a pile of Sugru for Christmas and have been moulding it into all sorts of things. I figured that it might be good for moulding into terminal covers.
Perhaps if a standard mould was made then they could be produced from the mould to fit the terminals you have.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those look like nice terminal covers.:)

Maybe two or more dies on the vacuum table will increase productivity and get more per sheet of plastic. You can then market them.
Look more carefully at the pictures. They are making two at a time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts