DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Tesla 3 battery pack and need coolant connectors. The connectors that I have are female and have a number molded on: "FIP NW18-90 PA66 GF 30". There are two different size connectors the other one has molded on it: "FIP NW16-90."
If anyone has a source I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
The connectors that I have are female and have a number molded on: "FIP NW18-90 PA66 GF 30". There are two different size connectors the other one has molded on it: "FIP NW16-90."
It appears that
  • NW is a VDA connector type specification for coolant connections
  • 16 or 18 is the size portion of the standard dimension spec (so the connector is NW16 or NW18 size)
  • 90 is probably the angle (a right-angle connector)
  • PA66 and GF30 are a material specification - from a supplier web page:
    • "PA66 (GF30 housing and retainer) stabilized against heat and hydrolysis effect for direct contact with coolant"
Do these connectors have female pipe threads in the other end? Then "FIP" would be "Female Iron Pipe", meaning inside threads of the NPT ("National Pipe - Tapered") type.

Knowing what the codes refer to might help in searching for connectors. There appear to be a few suppliers of NW16 and NW18 quick connectors, but I have no idea of a suitable source for small quantities.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears that
  • NW is a VDA connector type specification for coolant connections
  • 16 or 18 is the size portion of the standard dimension spec (so the connector is NW16 or NW18 size)
  • 90 is probably the angle (a right-angle connector)
  • PA66 and GF30 are a material specification - from a supplier web page:
    • "PA66 (GF30 housing and retainer) stabilized against heat and hydrolysis effect for direct contact with coolant"
Do these connectors have female pipe threads in the other end? Then "FIP" would be "Female Iron Pipe", meaning inside threads of the NPT ("National Pipe - Tapered") type.

Knowing what the codes refer to might help in searching for connectors. There appear to be a few suppliers of NW16 and NW18 quick connectors, but I have no idea of a suitable source for small quantities.
The other one end is a male ribbed end with corrugated tubing sealed with a heat shrink material. The fitting looks similar to the Norma PS3 16. Unfortunately they aren’t widely available in the US. I did find one on line and ordered it for comparison.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I found this one a couple of months ago. I think someone found a compatible connector on this forum but I can't recall the conversation off the top of my head. Maybe a search here will turn up something?
I did look at that connector in my search and it is different than the female connectors on my T 3 battery pack.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered and received a Norma PS3 90 degree NW16 connector. It looked hopeful as a match for the Tesla 3 battery pack coolant connectors. However, the dimensions are wrong...it doesn't work. The search continues.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Composite material Auto part Metal

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Might have to make one 😬

So you can't get one from a salvage yard and modify it?

Did you check with the Tesla parts department to see if they have a repair kit which might have a connector in it, as they do occasionally leak, iirc?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Did you check with the Tesla parts department to see if they have a repair kit which might have a connector in it, as they do occasionally leak, iirc?
Tesla's online parts catalog only shows some external components of the battery pack (skid rails, etc), not internal components... so no plumbing connectors. It appears that if a Tesla service centre needs to fix an internal leak, they swap the entire battery pack.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might have to make one 😬

So you can't get one from a salvage yard and modify it?

I'm currently checking with a couple of salvage yards to see if they have just the connectors. One option is to thread the inside of connectors on the battery pack but that would be my last choice as I am thinking that it would weaken a part that is already vulnerable to cracking/breaking from what I understand.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
So, I'm guessing the ID doesn't matter and that there's an o-ring that mates with the OD and a clip retains the fitting on one of those grooves.

Should be pretty straight forward to machine if you can't find a ready-made one. Could even resin 3d print some. So, not a dead end if you can't find or mod an existing one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, the id doesn't really matter except that in looking at different manufacturers of quick connects for coolant a number of them list them by id. For example, Dorman 800-290. I'm hoping that someone at some time has identified the manufacturer/model used by Tesla.
You are correct: there is an o ring on the inside of the female connector and a wire retainer holding the connectors together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts