DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Tesla batteries suffer internal degradation?
In searching for Tesla batteries for my build, I came across a couple of extensive discussions on Teslamotorsclub.com (500 pages worth) and Electrek.com regarding the reason last Spring’s update reduced a large number of 60, 70, and 85 owner’s charging voltage and range. Not everyone, not every model. But in short, if you were affected maxV was reduced from 4.2, and you lost kWh so mileage and performance were reduced as much as 10%. Like this site, there are lots of smart people commenting and one consensus was the software analyzed your pack and adjusted charging and cooling profiles accordingly. If your pack wasn’t up to snuff, you got nicked.
Since Tesla is secretive, nobody knows the real rationale behind the change. Tesla’s claim that it was done to enhance battery health naturally brings up the 8 year warranty period that begins this year. But another claim is that the older or frequently supercharged batteries are experiencing dendrite formation and Li plating. The update follows a series of fires that occurred during charging.
As a re-user scrounging for a set of modules good enough to use in an EV this info caught my attention as another consideration when buying. Even if it’s true that Tesla modules were delivered from God’s hands to Elon’s, it seems that they are not immune from the same issues other chemical batteries have as they age. Tesla is saying something about their batteries by making this move. Too bad they won’t just tell us.

·
Registered
911 Posts
There is nothing magical nor religious at play.

I'm sure five years later they will be much improved.

Early adopters pay a lot to be beta testers.

But if he likes, he can afford to be generous, and IMO that would be smart, if he wants the company to actually be worth today's insane valuation one day in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts