DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am wondering where those who have found Tesla packs got them and what was the cost. I will be buying 5 in the next year or so and finding that they are hard to come buy. Has anyone got a good place/method for getting them? I see EvWest has a bunch and am assuming they are buying wrecks. Same with a few other ev conversion dealers.

I have been following the auctions around here in Ontario Canada and the cars are going for $25k plus. I don鈥檛 have the cash for a whole wreck unless someone wants to go on with me......馃槈

I also wonder what the guys buying these wrecks are doing with them. Does Tesla buy the batteries back or do recycling companies pay money for them????
Thoughts?

Registered
Parts for non-authorized repair shops, secondhand aftermarket and hobbyists.

Batt packs demand is higher than supply, not just EVs but solar storage backup powerwalls, bikes wheelchairs etc

Registered
There's a whole growing industry salvaging factory EV batteries. They buy the car, take it apart, then sell the bits for double to people like us building cars and DIY powerwalls for the home. It's nice to have capital.

Must they be Tesla batteries?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
There's a whole industry growing salvaging factory EV batteries. They buy the car, take it apart, then sell the bits for double to people like us building cars and DIY powerwalls for the home. It's nice to have capital.

Must they be Tesla batteries?
I am sort of set on Tesla batteries due to packaging and how good they are. I may use others but most other ev batteries are 200+ volts. I don鈥檛 really want to build my own packs and it looks like everyone rips out the 鈥渙ff the shelf鈥 lipos after a short time and get ev batteries.

Registered
I find the the large size and liquid cooling of Tesla batteries to be a strong negative in terms of packaging. There is no doubt as to their quality...but you do pay for it.

They're not the only game in town, though. What are your performance goals? What about a Leaf pack that breaks down into 9" x 12" modules of 7.5v? Building your own pack out of these is extraordinarily simple relative to everything else involved in the conversion. Chevy Volt, Smart ED, etc...

You can pick up a 2013+ Leaf in good condition for $6-8k all day, for example...

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I find the the large size and liquid cooling of Tesla batteries to be a strong negative in terms of packaging. There is no doubt as to their quality...but you do pay for it.

They're not the only game in town, though. What are your performance goals? What about a Leaf pack that breaks down into 9" x 12" modules of 7.5v? Building your own pack out of these is extraordinarily simple relative to everything else involved in the conversion. Chevy Volt, Smart ED, etc...

You can pick up a 2013+ Leaf in good condition for $6-8k all day, for example...
I may have to start researching alternatives. Do leaf batteries have life after 6 years of use? This is my main concern with others. Save a few grand but end up with a battery that won鈥檛 last. Im looking for around 25kw worth of batteries, 5 tesla packs. I am hoping to get 120km in a rx8 with a Hyper9 motor setup.

Registered
Leaf batteries were sketchy until some time in 2013, I believe. After that they've been solid in 24kW trim. The good batteries are the "lizard" or "wolf" batteries if I recall correctly, though I don't have specifics of how to identify which is which.

The Hyper9 seems like a fine motor, but a Leaf motor puts out more torque, spins faster, and costs about $1000 with the inverter (plus $500 Thunderstruck controller or other solution). The 8:1 gearbox bolts off to reveal a fairly basic mating face and output shaft akin to the Hyper9.

If you buy the whole Leaf, you also wind up with other bits like contactors, fuses, a throttle, AC compressor, high voltage heater, coolant pump, radiators, miles of wiring, etc, etc...If you know anything about CAN bus hacking/programming, you might be able to use all of the other sweet, expensive components as well (but that is tough sledding at this point in time).

This is the route I took, and I don't regret it...but my project is far from running, so who knows if I know what I'm talking about...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Leaf batteries were sketchy until some time in 2013, I believe. After that they've been solid in 24kW trim. The good batteries are the "lizard" or "wolf" batteries if I recall correctly, though I don't have specifics of how to identify which is which.

The Hyper9 seems like a fine motor, but a Leaf motor puts out more torque, spins faster, and costs about $1000 with the inverter (plus $500 Thunderstruck controller or other solution). The 8:1 gearbox bolts off to reveal a fairly basic mating face and output shaft akin to the Hyper9.

If you buy the whole Leaf, you also wind up with other bits like contactors, fuses, a throttle, AC compressor, high voltage heater, coolant pump, radiators, miles of wiring, etc, etc...If you know anything about CAN bus hacking/programming, you might be able to use all of the other sweet, expensive components as well (but that is tough sledding at this point in time).

This is the route I took, and I don't regret it...but my project is far from running, so who knows if I know what I'm talking about...
I will look into this. I am a controls/robotics guy and the CAN bus stuff is not a problem so this may make more sense since you get lots of other stuff with it that is usable. Is it really higher torque (over 173ft/lb) at the motor without the gearbox?

Registered
Leaf motor does 210ftlb before gearing, which I believe is limited by the batteries.

If you figured out how to control the BMS, DC-DC converter, or charger (particularly the 6.6kW charger), you would be my hero. Each one of those is commonly over a thousand bucks...Considering I will be using the batteries, motor, and inverter from my Leaf for way less than the cost of a similar aftermarket setup, I consider the rest freebies...

People have done a lot of the ground work, and there is info out there, but there is no simple distillation of the proprietary Leaf CAN protocol that I've found after quite a bit of digging...otherwise I'd code it up myself on an Arduino!

Registered
I may have to start researching alternatives. Do leaf batteries have life after 6 years of use? This is my main concern with others. Save a few grand but end up with a battery that won鈥檛 last. Im looking for around 25kw worth of batteries, 5 tesla packs. I am hoping to get 120km in a rx8 with a Hyper9 motor setup.
Holy cow, I am actually working on almost this exact setup myself. 5 tesla batteries, Hyper 9 motor, but not an RX8 (I am using an RX8 transmission though).

All said and done, 5 tesla batteries will run you about $6k including shipping. Definitely verify that they are coming from the same vehicle. If you can pick them up in person, that would be ideal (to avoid shipping damage). You'll spend a little extra getting them from EVWest, but they will guarantee a good product is delivered.

RX8 is RWD as far as I'm aware, so going the leaf motor route will require a lot of custom modifications (leafs are FWD).

My advice is to really dig into spacing in your car to make sure what will actually fit. I looked at Model S, Leaf, and Mini-e batteries before deciding on Tesla. The energy density cannot be beat (but it is reflected in the cost).

I wish I had a closer final product to share experience with, but winter has struck, so my project is on pause (it's a driveway project). Best of luck on your build.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Hi all,
I am wondering where those who have found Tesla packs got them and what was the cost. I will be buying 5 in the next year or so and finding that they are hard to come buy. Has anyone got a good place/method for getting them? I see EvWest has a bunch and am assuming they are buying wrecks. Same with a few other ev conversion dealers.

I have been following the auctions around here in Ontario Canada and the cars are going for $25k plus. I don鈥檛 have the cash for a whole wreck unless someone wants to go on with me......馃槈

I also wonder what the guys buying these wrecks are doing with them. Does Tesla buy the batteries back or do recycling companies pay money for them????
Thoughts?
I鈥檓 a dealer for a yard that is the most reputable source so far for Tesla modules and at the best price. That鈥檚 where EV west and most other conversion companies get theirs from. I鈥檒l beat their prices and get you the best price I can.

Just let me know! I really like the Tesla modules. Liquid cooled is wonderful in my opinion, easily regulated and easily heated in wintertime. I strongly recommend Orion BMS with the Tesla modules as all of the functionality it has is very useful. Let me know what parts I can help you get, good luck on the project!

Cheers,

Adam Lansing
Hawkeye Innovations LLC

Registered
The Leaf gearbox can be bolted off such that the motor output resembles the Hyper9. You can then adapt it to the existing transmission/driveshaft in a similar manner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Holy cow, I am actually working on almost this exact setup myself. 5 tesla batteries, Hyper 9 motor, but not an RX8 (I am using an RX8 transmission though).

All said and done, 5 tesla batteries will run you about $6k including shipping. Definitely verify that they are coming from the same vehicle. If you can pick them up in person, that would be ideal (to avoid shipping damage). You'll spend a little extra getting them from EVWest, but they will guarantee a good product is delivered.

RX8 is RWD as far as I'm aware, so going the leaf motor route will require a lot of custom modifications (leafs are FWD).

My advice is to really dig into spacing in your car to make sure what will actually fit. I looked at Model S, Leaf, and Mini-e batteries before deciding on Tesla. The energy density cannot be beat (but it is reflected in the cost).

I wish I had a closer final product to share experience with, but winter has struck, so my project is on pause (it's a driveway project). Best of luck on your build.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Cool. I am in Ontario Canada so the price for the batteries is a bit higher. The Tesla packs are going to be a perfect fit behind the back seat right over the rear wheels. Maybe put some in the very front as well. I don鈥檛 think the leaf setup is optimal. It sounds like a good motor but way to much screwing around with the controls. Also the voltage is high which adds some more complexity with batteries. I think that saving a few grand will cost in the 鈥減ain in the ass鈥 department. I want a really clean install and not a hack job. The leaf I believe will turn into a hack.

Right now I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to get a Hyper9 setup. Not many distributors in Canada, or close by. Also trying to get the Wankel running to sell it for some cash money

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I鈥檓 a dealer for a yard that is the most reputable source so far for Tesla modules and at the best price. That鈥檚 where EV west and most other conversion companies get theirs from. I鈥檒l beat their prices and get you the best price I can.

Just let me know! I really like the Tesla modules. Liquid cooled is wonderful in my opinion, easily regulated and easily heated in wintertime. I strongly recommend Orion BMS with the Tesla modules as all of the functionality it has is very useful. Let me know what parts I can help you get, good luck on the project!

Cheers,

Adam Lansing
Hawkeye Innovations LLC
That would be great but I am betting you are in California or something. I am up in the great white north, Ontario Canada. Not sure what kind of hassle shipping batteries into Canada is. If the price is right I鈥檓 game,

Registered
"batteries will be over the rear wheels"

That's a good layout constraint if you're building a hay wagon.

The car will handle like one, as well.

Registered

Cheers,

Adam Lansing
Hawkeye Innovations LLC
That would be great but I am betting you are in California or something. I am up in the great white north, Ontario Canada. Not sure what kind of hassle shipping batteries into Canada is. If the price is right I鈥檓 game,
Send me an email at [email protected] and we can discuss. I鈥檓 actually in Texas, but I鈥檒l talk with my source about having batteries shipped to canada. Might be worth it if we can get you a good price on those.

Also, I鈥檓 a dealer for netgain, and I can get you the best price on a hyper 9 setup!!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts