DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to this form but have been watching it for a while. I’m doing a conversion with a Tesla motor and model s batteries. Is there a way of using the car’s bms or is that too complicated? If not what would you recommend?

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Tesla BMS use off the shelf Texas Instruments chips in the modules when I last looked.

What's "Tesla proprietary" usually isn't, lol...

That doesn't mean to say the BMS controller's firmware isn't proprietary/tweaked, though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, I’m new to this form but have been watching it for a while. I’m doing a conversion with a Tesla motor and model s batteries. Is there a way of using the car’s bms or is that too complicated? If not what would you recommend?
I think that Damien Maguire has done some work in this area and may have a product. You might check out openinverter.org, where they do lots of things like that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It sounds like SimpBMS supports tesla s and x battery modules -

My understanding is that with that unit it will let you interface with the module level boards. I have not read their documents, though, so I am not 100% sure how it all works, and if it really saves you much time or hassle. Its also fairly pricey, but might still come out a little bit ahead of the other BMS options. A lot of people seem to use the Orion BMS, and I am running a Thunderstruck Dilithium BMS that I am quite pleased with. I am using Tesla-made modules that went into a Mercedes, and it was pretty easy to connect up to an aftermarket BMS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts