DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep. Several of us are in the process of that. There are some rather expensive conversion kits available but they are incomplete. You'll need to be an engineer to do this, or at least prepared to skill up and understand what you are working with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Several of us are in the process of that. There are some rather expensive conversion kits available but they are incomplete. You'll need to be an engineer to do this, or at least prepared to skill up and understand what you are working with.
Do you know of any one who has done it ,or any pictures please thanks

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Dude - you need to search the forum, then ask. So many questions repeatedly asked because people are too lazy to look.

Yes, it's in this thread:

I'll let you look for it. About 3/4 into the thread or so, iirc.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
It's not obvious exactly what to search for to find this modification, so I understand not finding it. Most modifications of the common early Model S and Model X drive units to detach the inverter also detach the motor from the transaxle (gearbox and differential), to mount the motor to other types of transmissions or drivelines (such as in this project: Tesla LDU drive shaft conversion), but it is possible to just detach the inverter, which I believe is what 57Chevy is talking about.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you know of any one who has done it ,or any pictures please thanks
I don't personally know anyone but we have discussed it here in the 1962 Corvette thread. It is not a simple operation if you want to meet all the OEM requirements of waterproof, vibration resistant, EMI shielded etc. Much easier if you don't care for all that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts