DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently I was presented an opportunity to build a 80kWh backup battery system for a friend of mine. I'm thinking for in both terms of longevity and in cost I am planning on purchasing 15 Tesla Model S Lithium Ion Battery Modules equipped with liquid cooling from EV West. I have been in contact with EV West but they said that they do not provide liquid cooling to any of their systems. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a company or link to a liquid cooling kit (if that even exists) or what parts I will need to make a liquid cooling system for my proposed build. Thank you guys appreciate all the help and knowledge!

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is the backup system for? Are you sure you actually need the liquid cooling?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its for a very large house that will be drawing allot of power. It will end up running relatively large loads and be in use every day and night. Just to be sure I get a long use out of it I'd like to add the cooling system in even if it is redundant.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I think that circulating coolant makes sense even if there is no net heat to be rejected, just to even out cell temperatures. Tesla modules were not designed to be operated without coolant.

·
Registered
565 Posts
are you going to use a high voltage inverter? (because you specify 15 modules)

otherwise better use an even number, so you can use 2 in series for a 48 volt system.

if you stay below 1/5C you really don't need cooling, the cooling channels by itself are quit good in evening out the temperature along the modules.

above 1/4 C you'll want to use cooling.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For a house system I am not sure it will be required but it is easy to do. Do you have any specific questions on how to do it? You dont need a kit, just lots of parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts