DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Has anybody worked with the 057 Tech or StealthEV, specifically their Tesla drive units with controllers (kits)? Those look very promising.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 057 drive unit. It works well. However, when I start my next project, in a few months, I intend on using open source via openinverter.org.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
No limitations. I simply have gained lots of knowledge from the first build, so I feel comfortable doing it myself (with a little help from friends!). By doing so, I will save money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No limitations. I simply have gained lots of knowledge from the first build, so I feel comfortable doing it myself (with a little help from friends!). By doing so, I will save money.

Noted.
Would you be able to share manual for the 057 unit? I'm curious how the setup works before purchase.
Also, were you able to run Tesla drive unit on reduced voltage? Ex. small drive units are designed for 200VDC-420VDC, in the car they run off 85kWh pack (22.8VDC * 16 modules = 346VDC), but I'm planning on using a smaller battery pack for now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unfortunately, Jason (057 owner), states that I cannot share the manual.
However, he will certainly answer any questions you may have.
Reduced voltage is not an option. I believe the minimum is 320.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, Jason (057 owner), states that I cannot share the manual.
However, he will certainly answer any questions you may have.
Reduced voltage is not an option. I believe the minimum is 320.

Understood.
Very unfortunate about the reduced voltage.

Few questions on capabilities:
  1. Does it do regen brake?
  2. What kind of data available via CAN? Looking to pair this with Orion 2 BMS and read diagnostics data.
  3. Can it be used as a complete VCU, i.e. connect ignition, pair with outside display (via CAN!?)?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the EV Controls unit. They have excellent customer service. It does regen and their manual is online.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the EV Controls unit. They have excellent customer service. It does regen and their manual is online.
Assuming you mean StealthEV. Mind sharing the link have trouble finding.
Can it do reduced voltage as described above?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Best would be to call Stealth EV and 057 Technology to confirm their kits. But from their web site each have a voltage range listing of around 200 to 400 volts . So I assume it can work just with less power/rpm from it’s full potential .

Links below for each company and their read small drive unit kits . You can also search for small front drive unit as well.

Initially I paid for the EV controls kit from EV West but later cancelled and got refund as the dual motor configurations was not supported for the small drive unit combo I decided to do. Ev controls controller at this time only supports dual motor if you use Performance D drive units.

I spoke with both Stealth EV and O57 Technology . Both were very nice and answered my questions . I decided to go with the Stealth EV as his kit I feel like better suits why I was looking for . It’s currently being built and hopefully it will be sent to me in the next week or two. His kit does come with a lot of items than I thought when initially reading through this site Item description. So I would recommend you call and speak with Matt and he will provide additional details.

Both Stealth and 057 kits do come with regen. You can turn off/on if needed . I believe you can also customize its level as well . Just keep in mind with Stealths kit you would connect to the controller via WiFi to configure what you want. 057’s kit doesn’t use WiFi but rather hard line connection to your laptop /computer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Initially I paid for the EV controls kit from EV West but later cancelled and got refund as the dual motor configurations was not supported for the small drive unit combo I decided to do. Ev controls controller at this time only supports dual motor if you use Performance D drive units.
I ordered yesterday a EV controls unit, I have a old (2014) Performance motor, but my plan is to combine with an additional one (performance) for the front.... do you know if with the T1C could control both motors???? (Performance Motors from two P85+)

thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I contacted EV-Controls, they informed me that the dual motor configuration will only work with P85D , P90D or P100D rear and small front drive units / combination. Any other drive units , example a P85 non D rear etc.. won’t work with dual motor setup . I don’t think you can use two large rear drive units or two small front , even with both being from a P-D car.

Also when getting the correct rear and front you still need to make sure it is the correct firmware but they said they will help with that updating it.

This was back in May/June . I don’t know if anything has changed since then.

After much thinking I decided I rather do something that would allow flexibility with having the front and rear drive units independent from each other. Also, I took a step down from large rear to a small rear due to better fitment .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don’t know of any single external controller you can buy that can control two separate large drive units. I would suggest you contact EV controls maybe there has been some changes since I last contacted them.

May I ask what your planning on building ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts