DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey electric friends,

All out of money till my next paycheck this Friday(tommorow luckily). I worked almost everyday of the month for 10 hours a day and a Tesla large drive unit popped up for sale on eBay for 1800 and I offered the guy 1600 shipped. No idea what Tesla it came from but my dad did some googling of the serial numbers and we believe it is from the Mercedes B class. It just showed up on a pallet.

Now I am highly considering putting it in my overland expedition jeep Cherokee build. Just cuz I already got the jeep and I am sick of paying a huge amount of money on gas everytime I want to take it wheeling. What good is a sport if you can't ever afford it. The way I am seeing it I can put about 10 to 20 grand in gasoline through the tank wheeling every year. Why not just plug in everywhere, get solar panels or plug in a generator. Then I could put my gas savings into batteries and other electric components that I desire. I can sell my batteries if I take good care of them too, and get a ton of my money back to invest in better batteries when they come out.

I bought this Tesla motor because I think it is a superior design. Was going to do the DC advanced 8 zilla 1k LG chem battery setup in the jeep that I currently have in my electric trike, however I just couldn't stand the idea of only having half the range that an AC motor can provide. Plus I imagine the Tesla motor can run super hot because of its cooling system when climbing large mountains whereas the DC motors run super hot and can burn up according to other 4x4 EV guys I have been talking to particularly Rich Rudman from Manzanita Micro referring to his Toyota pickup build when we chatted on the phone.

Also Regen is like the best thing ever for descending and I expect to do some really nice regen charging every wheeling trip with this motor/inverter.

Now I am currently still in my early planning stages. May switch to a fiberglass jeep setup too because everyone in Maine knows that cars that are made out of steel in our state completely rust in half in like 7 years because of how hard the state salts our roads in the winter. Right now I am currently in the process of plating my frame because my unibody frame flexed and rotted because of rust straight in half. Had to put a come along on my frame to hold it together just to drive it to work for a couple months finally before deciding it needed to go under the knife and to begin it's rust surgery. Started to get carried away with the fender trimming and now the cops won't let me drive it on the road because my fender flares are non existent and my tires are way over the two inch from stock tire law.

Also highly considering a fiberglass jeep tub that would never rust and possibly dumping a ton of money into titanium tubing to build an ultra 4 tube buggy that would never rust. If I took this route it would be cool to just go with an IRS/IFS design and just purchase another Tesla large drive unit and just go race ultra 4 and destroy everyone on the climbs possessing instant torque capabilities. But I do not have any of this stuff yet or money so I am just considering my Cherokee as a sweet starting point.

Want to upgrade to 14 bolt rear axle and Dana 60 front soon as well. For now though I want to just limit my amp pull on my Tesla inverter super low to accommodate my Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25, for the meantime. Got other Cherokees for parts if I break anything.
As far as mounting the Tesla motor in the Cherokee I am considering this option.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGVVioOjCUU

Really like the tranny-less jeep build discussion on this forum and like the idea of only running the Tesla motor and gearbox in place of my transmission and transfer case. Although I really would love having high and low range that my np231 provide.

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/tranny-less-jeep-201195p4.html?highlight=tranny+jeep

Attachments

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
No idea what Tesla it came from but my dad did some googling of the serial numbers and we believe it is from the Mercedes B class.
That seems likely, since the label starts with "W242EV", and that's the Mercedes designation for the B-Class Sports Tourer Electric Drive (B250e), built in model years 2014 through 2017. The drive unit package is generally like the large drive unit in the Tesla Model S and X, but is programmed for only 177 horsepower, and arranged to put the motor and inverter ahead of the axle line (instead of behind it in the Tesla models).

Really like the tranny-less jeep build discussion on this forum and like the idea of only running the Tesla motor and gearbox in place of my transmission and transfer case. Although I really would love having high and low range that my np231 provide.
For this configuration, I'll note that the flipped orientation of this unit means that for the same shaft rotation, the drive unit would be on the other side of the car's centreline, compared to the Model S/X units.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if my np231 would handle this tesla motor for a bit? doesn't the thing spin wicked fast with the 4.0 already? pretty sure I can definetly go like 100 mph if I want in 4 high. so the transfer case must be moving inside as fast as it is making my tires spin. I feel like it could handle it for a while.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Definetly going to split the inverter off of the motor to make everything easier to fit wherever just like the guy with the audi s5.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Trying to figure out gear wars all day.

http://gearwars.net/?name=tesla+jeep

wish gear wars had a transfer case gearing option, and axle gear ratio option as well on the list. Any other ideas how I could verify what my gearing is going to look like on this 4x4? Np 231 has 4 low 2.72 and 4 hi of 1. rear axle is 3.55. tires are 37's. hmmmm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, looks like I really am going to want a quaife reduction gear setup really soon. Found a good calculator on pirate 4x4.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/java/getspd_calc.html

looks like at max rpm 16000, a 37 inch tire, 9.73 gearbox, ring and pinion 3.55, the jeep will only go 50 mph.

but if I add quaife 4.5.1 it will go 110mph.

Quaiffe reduction would be really sweet.

hmmmm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I am really considering ditching the gear box and trying to run a stock np231/np231 doubler.

First np231 would have a gear ratio of 2.72.

Second np231 I would upgrade to 4:1 gear ratio.

With this, according to my Marlin Crawler.com calculator I would then be able to hit 121mph while the first np231 was in gear 1 and the second np231 is in gear 4.1.

Then if the first one was in 2.72 the second one in 4:1 I would have a top speed of 44.8mph.

Then if the first one was in gear 1 and the second one was in gear 2.72 it would be a top speed of 182mph.

lol Might not like it. I got to think about it. Don't think I would ever need the other gears. haha 496mph with first one on gear 1 and the second one on gear 1.:eek: Maybe on a different planet?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually not going to use np 231 with a tesla motor. I know it will just instantly explode. started to consider using bigger transfer cases like the np 203/np205 doubler. but it's a ton of weight just to get the low low setting that will only be 112 mph. so not that low. guess i could have 3 transfer cases, to get a low low low range of 56mph top speed. but like yeah kinda crazy. might just get a quaife diff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Brian. That is what I meant to say. Really is the way to go. Might have to take that route. Just save up for that reduction gear built by Quaiffe. Sweet Idea. would be way stronger then any transfer case setup. although if I blow up my transfer case I can just throw another one in. I am sorta on a super budget with this stuff haha
Also just thinking about using one transfer case np231 and leaving it in low range now. I feel like I will be able to limit my amps to like 700 or something and rpms to about 8000 rpms? something like what the np231 was made for. It would have a top speed of 91 mph. With all stock componentry and my 37's. I just want to go like the speed limit so it may work. hmm so interesting. Maybe try this method first and buy all the super strong componentry whenever down the road. Just baby it till I can afford to build up something stronger. Like usual... haha kinda want to drive this 4x4 in the snow this winter. no wheeling really during snow season. The snow is too deep.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Trying to figure out gear wars all day.

http://gearwars.net/?name=tesla+jeep

wish gear wars had a transfer case gearing option, and axle gear ratio option as well on the list. Any other ideas how I could verify what my gearing is going to look like on this 4x4? Np 231 has 4 low 2.72 and 4 hi of 1. rear axle is 3.55. tires are 37's. hmmmm
That's not a bad idea...If you want, you can fake it by duplicating a drivetrain and just dividing the final drive ratio by 4 (or whatever Lo gear is with the transfer case).

Apologies for the goofy interface...It's just something I threw together after getting frustrated with the chart-based versions.

There aren't users or accounts or anything yet...The data is all stored on the machine/browser that you're using, so unfortunately others can't see it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I am trying to determine what bms I want to purchase for my LG chem cells. Already took my modules apart and can configure them in any which way I so choose.Thinking about 100s 1p. May have done some damage to my cells since I had a little fire on my trike that they were in when there was a short between my positive wire and negative busbar. The school of hard knocks is so saad. Oh well cheaper than going to electric car University and getting a $100,000 degree(If that is even a real thing, lol!) I will just keep reading about this stuff on here and learning from others online. Has been wicked awesome learning about this stuff open source.
This time the pack is built up I will have a Battery Management system ensuring that I do not put in cells that are way too damaged.

BMS's under consideration

Zeva
12-cell Lithium BMS Module V3 x9=108 cell capacity
9modules x $105=$945
$945+EVMS Monitor V3 $98+ $132 electric Vehicle Management System V3 no precharger(is this ok??? a HV precharger only goes up to 380v)=$1175 before shipping and taxes

Like how simple this system is.

Orion

like the optional wifi box. would like to be able to monitor my cell voltages from my bedroom. Maybe have an alarm go off if my pack decides to catch on fire again for whatever reason. All though the Ducks seem to work just fine right now. Quaaack!! Quaaaack!! Quaaaack!! makes you think I better go see what's going on outside.

Batrium

I don't understand they're strange nerd language yet. but it looks really spiffy. Like the cellular hotspot Idea but I can't get a cellular signal anyways at my house because I am in a deadzone. only have wifi.

TomDB

300 bucks for master

need to source slave boards.

all the other parts to get it going.

chargery

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok Thanks. We'll see how far I get. I did not make these videos. Just like the ideas a lot. Cited all the sources with the urls that I have listed. Kinda using this thread to gather Ideas right now. Would really like to use two tesla motors because of how heavy this jeep would be and Ifs Irs. Just not really to close to affording that type of dreaming yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe that with the right gearing and cooling, any motor can be used and has been used in off road rigs. Have you seen the tesla sandtruck yet?

https://www.instagram.com/teslasandtruck/?hl=en

this uses the model s car motor. yes it is light at 2500 pounds. My jeep is probably double this because of all the metal I have added to reinforce it. May just build a fiberglass tube buggy. I haven't taken a single part of my jeep cherokee because it runs so good and we use it to go wheeling whenever. Pretty cheap to buy gas, as long as it is a woods rig and not used as a daily driver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am i correct understanding these videos are t your build? I certainly wouldn't encourage using any car.motor on its own in a truck, small pick-up or SUV like the Cherokee sure but this thing is too large!

Cheers
Tyler
I'd be interested to hear more of peoples opinions/experiences regarding this issue. Will the Tesla model S drive unit handle powering heavier vehicles with the appropriate reduction gears/ transfer case and cooling?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts