DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have managed to get a Tesla battery from a 2021 Model 3 (60kw)

(S) Tesla serial number: TG322020000WN1
(P) Tesla part number: 1666969-00-C

What trying to do is work out how to connect to the BMS slave boards that on the modules

Found that its meat to have setup like this inside with 4 long modules (Diagram found on you tube video)
From this Video :

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Rectangle Electronic engineering

This one has good info on tear down :
And show modules inside

I found this git project, which seem to be a great start if it still works for my battery setup
Where show its serial coms out of boards not can
https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/10098432032832/wiring.pdf

The modules seem to have Serial boards that let you get info about state and the balancing of the battery
So will try get few parts and try that code out
Need a 3.3v to 5v serial adaptor first as Arduino DUE boards wont like the 5v only will handle 3.3

So the questions part, 100% new with Tesla (Only played with leaf BMS to date)
Is these any good website to view that may help with any of the following

1) What's the wiring info on these two plug that come out of the tesla modules
(Is one each side of the pent house box)
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Bumper

2) Any other site that may have the Serial decoding information for what comes out of the modules
I hope GitHub - collin80/TeslaBMS will still work bit wondering if any updates

3) Any product on the market that we can connect to these slave boards and get a can message output ?

4) As an aside any one know how to decode serial number on box
( just keen to confirm what I was sold is actual what got)
Font Monochrome photography Monochrome Signage Sign

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
That's a great video find.

The little boards on the cells don't show any bleed resistors for balancing, maybe they are on the bottom side?

Those boards look to have 2 or 3 microcontrollers and 3 HV isolation chips, one is sending the signal to the output connector that reaches into the penthouse. Inside the penthouse are numerous components for HV: main contactors, pyrofuse and master bms board. Likely that the CAN buss communicates from the master to the vehicle, and serial comm from cell boards to master.

i thinkCollins work was on the old cell monitoring boards which had a dedicated bms chip talking to an 8051 microcontroller that talked to the master bms board on a serial daisy chain.

Did your pack come with the penthouse?

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great video find.
Yea super fast mat video showed more than most

This video is good also

The little boards on the cells don't show any bleed resistors for balancing,
maybe they are on the bottom side?

Those boards look to have 2 or 3 microcontrollers and 3 HV isolation chips,
one is sending the signal to the output connector that reaches into the penthouse.
Inside the penthouse are numerous components for HV:
main contactors, pyrofuse and master bms board.
Likely that the CAN buss communicates from the master to the vehicle, and serial comm from cell boards to master.

I think Collins work was on the old cell monitoring boards which had a dedicated
bms chip talking to an 8051 microcontroller that talked to the master bms board on a serial daisy chain.
That is what I think also that Collins work is for different modules
They still seem to have serial connections off them so will try and connect and see what I can get out.

Is a board in box that seem to connect to all them, which is can output
Will see what I can find out about that, its basic of wiring and modules to use and codes that need to undertand

Did your pack come with the penthouse?
Yes got a complete pack photo's from what I have now, striping down penthouse now

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not full studied that yet but is that now with what he calls the batman chip included ?

I will have look at that also but it also mentioned link for updates

·
Registered
907 Posts
Model 3 Chips used are not available anywhere but from a salvaged pack. So you would need to pull the ics of donor boards, which are conformally coated. Then solder these on a dedicated board like the one Damien designed.

All of this has to be done due to the fact Tesla use the base chips but operate it outside of the "standard" communication speed and with a custom instruction set.

I was able to contribute by decoding the custom protocol to some extent. However all this was halted as no others pitched in and I or Damien did not have a direct need.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Are you going to remove the penthouse and replace it's functions with other hardware/ boards?

Why not just use the CAN buss to query the pack; you ask about reading serial data, then in (3) you ask about interfacing with CAN...what is it that you want to do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Model 3 Chips used are not available anywhere but from a salvaged pack.
So you would need to pull the ics of donor boards, which are conformally coated.
Then solder these on a dedicated board like the one designed.
I have seen some of the video that Damien did and not sure my board is the same
The wiring you guys connect into looks different

I just have 2 wires from the modules, plug like this each side of the battery box
Just two wires out from it with green and white wires
(No sign of the 5 wires shown with a GND/Power/Fault wires etc that see in diagrams)
Purple Automotive tire Liquid Motor vehicle Pink

(And I broke the plug so have to fix it)

So @Tomdb does this look like what your guys based your discovery off, or have they change it again ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you going to remove the penthouse and replace it's functions with other hardware/ boards?
Want to remove the pent house and connect to modules directly to get info.
So after something that can read and give me date back.

Why not just use the CAN buss to query the pack;
You ask about reading serial data, then in (3) you ask about interfacing with CAN...what is it that you want to do?
That what trying to understand is it CAN or Serial that comes out of the module I have.

See above post where I put image of what plug looks like its only 2 wires so does not match the serial coms wiring that people suggested

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to contribute by decoding the custom protocol to some extent. However all this was halted as no others pitched in and I or Damien did not have a direct need.

Was just looking at the video again and I was wrong above, Iv got my video mixed up that thinking of
Damien video is showing the two wires that I do have come from my module
Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

His Git Repo: GitHub - damienmaguire/Tesla-Model-3-Battery-BMS: Reverse engineering of the Tesla Model 3 battery bms control (Im guessing its your repo also @Tomdb)
The board he is selling: Tesla Model 3 BMS Controller

@Tomdb so if I dont have the Batmanchip what will get native from the 2 wires from the module ?
Im guessing that batman chip just some translator, wondering what the raw info give.

This is the other project that was looking at and it talks on the 5 wires and people using a teensy to ready data from it.
https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/10098432032832/wiring.pdf

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Took me all day to finish reading Damien's openinverter thread.

From all the work that Damien and Tom did to try to decode the raw ISO-SPI signals, it appears that using the CAN buss thru the Master BMS board in the penthouse would be the easier way to get cell data.

Or you could get Damiens FPGA board files, send off and get a board made, buy the common parts and solder them one, thenpull some batman chips off of used boards without damage, then soldering onto the board, then compile and program the FPGA to process what you want, etc...

Even Collin wasn't hopeful that he was gonna figure it out, but he is working for someone and his results will not be open source. i.e. won't be on github.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took me all day to finish reading Damien's openinverter thread.
Ive not fully looked at that thread yet, was started by a "Jack Bauer" is that Damiens handle ?

Or you could get Damiens FPGA board files, send off and get a board made, buy the common parts and solder them one, thenpull some batman chips off of used boards without damage, then soldering onto the board, then compile and program the FPGA to process what you want, etc...
Human body Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle

Hard to know from his description if he supplying the batman chip, and my soldering that good to do a 120+ chip
I sent email to ask him about it.

Even Collin wasn't hopeful that he was gonna figure it out, but he is working for someone and his results will not be open source. i.e. won't be on github.
Maybe a product out their that Collin will sell soon, can be hopefull

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would suggest reading the open inverter thread @Truesolutions

You are clearly drawing wrong conclusions based on your lack of understanding.
The batman chip does NOT come with it you have to salvage it yourself and its a pain. I have a written the code for a teensy 3.1 (not in stock anywhere at the moment but code can be ported to something else) to read and decode the ISO SPI traffic after querying the modules.

No idea how balancing is implemented no body has discovered that as far as I am aware.

I would strongly suggest keeping the Penthouse components are rehousing them if you want to use all four modules. Then talk to HV controller over canbus to get your info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are clearly drawing wrong conclusions based on your lack of understanding.
The batman chip does NOT come with it you have to salvage it yourself and its a pain
That is why I'm asking question to learn, and not make assumption.
I sent email to the store that listing a product to query what you get.

As unless I missed something on this stores product page, is nothing to indicate not complete.

It actual says "All components supplied" but is mention that "Soldering required"
And conflicting information of Availability: In Stock and says "Coming Soon!"
And a photo of a completed board with a chip on it

It maybe that Damien just never got chance for listing the product so page not completed.
But hey, if I don't ask and he has them.
Then I would feel stupid that I wasted time making something I could buy.

I would suggest reading the open inverter thread @Truesolutions
I am, I'm working through all links I find and making notes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good - post those notes here.
This is worth a read. its Toms work (Very good work)
GitHub - Tom-evnut/TeslaBMS

Its not the direction I'm wanting though
Its using CAN bus from master bms board (Not direct to slave modules)
Which is great option,
I will most likly go done discovery path and end up circling backing and using this proven method after wasting hours and hours being a slow learner ;-)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts