DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have become readily available now, just as predicted. 75 kwh packs are as cheap as $8000 on ebay. The only problem is those huge modules. Has anyone been able to break them up to functional units yet?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sadly, the supply of reasonably sized battery modules is dwindling. Brian's correct that it's impossible to resize the huge modules on a 3/Y and they do suck for integration in almost every car conversion.

Getting the cells extracted is a chore as well - soo much goop holding them in (the older modules are also a pain for extraction - an errant chisel/screwdriver will light a cell off while it's embedded with a few hundred others...don't ask how I know this). Just not worth the trouble unless you have nothing else to do with your time.

It's going to be even more fun with their upcoming "structural" battery and extracting their 4680 coke-can cells....

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(the older modules are also a pain for extraction - an errant chisel/screwdriver will light a cell off while it's embedded with a few hundred others...don't ask how I know this)
😅😅😅 Don't worry Remy- I won't ask!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys,- valuable information as usual... It's a bit disappointing, as the model 3/Y batteries are even more energy dense than the S/X. Used packs are also cheaper than the S/X ones.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How long are those modules, exactly? I have been working on an s-10 where I pulled off the bed and built a flatbed to hide my batteries under. The space in mine is roughly 5 feet by 6 feet and 9.5" deep. If I had 75kwh I would estimate a range that was nearing 200 miles.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long are those modules, exactly? I have been working on an s-10 where I pulled off the bed and built a flatbed to hide my batteries under. The space in mine is roughly 5 feet by 6 feet and 9.5" deep. If I had 75kwh I would estimate a range that was nearing 200 miles.
From Jack Rickard's teardown; the two in the centre are 73 inches long and the two on either side of these are 67.5 inches long. They're all 11.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches thick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys, interesting topic.

While these batteries are massive and mostly unsuitable for most cars Ive been thinking about either putting a model 3 battery under a van or more likely on the vans floor and building a fause floor above them. Wheel well positions may be the biggest issue with this plan depending on the van in question.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
... I have been working on an s-10 where I pulled off the bed and built a flatbed to hide my batteries under. The space in mine is roughly 5 feet by 6 feet and 9.5" deep.
My comment from another recent thread...
Four enormously long modules that won't fit in a vehicle being converted, unless someone wants to sacrifice the entire cargo area of a pickup truck, van, or station wagon.
:)

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
From Jack Rickard's teardown; the two in the centre are 73 inches long and the two on either side of these are 67.5 inches long. They're all 11.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches thick.
With mounting space and housing that's something in excess of 46 inches wide (with all four side-by-side as in the Model 3 and Y)... too wide to fit between the wheel wells of compact pickups and some vans.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Part of me wants to take exception to your claim that you have to sacrafice the cargo space, Brian; but then I remember the weight! In a small truck, I am guessing that a 75kwh pack would basically max out the rear weight capacity, so even if you build it into a flatbed, you would not be able to haul anything anyway. Still, it would be pretty cool to have a little extended cab pickup that could go 200 miles on a charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts