DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of converting my Jeep, I ran into the problem of adapting the Model 3 drive unit to a driveshaft (and eventually to the solid axles. I thought the problem deserved its own thread as it ended up being a challenge and has broader potential interest.

I was that for the Model 3 motor, the only current option is to use the stock driveshaft stumps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wood Gas Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system

I measured the outboard spline with the hope that it would be a standard cv. The spline measured close to 27mm and has 33 splines. Upon research, I found a cv that happened to have that spline specification.

I ordered one and tried it out. It did press on with a light press, but the splines did not seem quite right. (Also, some modification would have to be made even if this route was chosen, as the snap ring groove landed within the cv splines.)

Ultimately, I decided this route was not going to work for me as the axle lengths were too far from what I needed anyways (not to mention the questionable spline compatibility).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Gas
Wood Auto part Engineering Hardwood Automotive ignition part
Household hardware Plumbing Nickel Gas Cylinder

I was able to have a custom adapter made out of hardened 4340 that reuses all the pieces of the factory tripod joint, even the factory cv boot. I plan the preheat the adapter and the driveshaft tube before welding to ensure a good weld. The adapter was made for use with 2" O.D. 0.120" wall driveshaft tubing so that it will work with the 1310 double Cardan joint I have for the other end of the driveshaft.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is great. We almost went with a Model 3 PU like this but choose a more "conventional" solution to ease these types of issues. I assume you swapped the Model 3 gearset and installed a LSD too?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is great. We almost went with a Model 3 PU like this but choose a more "conventional" solution to ease these types of issues. I assume you swapped the Model 3 gearset and installed a LSD too?
Thanks! I plan to install a spool once I get the motor working good in the stock configuration. I kept the stock gearing and bought super high axle gears (2.73:1).

Here’s my Jeep build thread:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm putting together a similar setup and I contacted The Driveshaft Shop to get a flange adapter made : <[email protected]>

I had to send them the Tesla tripod joint cup and flange that I wanted to use, but they could probably do the same with a CV yoke instead of a flange. Cost about $300 in labor for two of them:

Wheel Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Bicycle part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts