DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Ev And car Enthusiasts,

I need help with understanding and identifying the Model S drive units . The EV Controls T-1C has capability to control model s dual motor. However it would have to be P85D , P90D, or P100D rear drive unit coupled with front.

Are large rear drive units only in the P85D P90D P100D and all others (rwd or awd) use a small rear drive unit ?

Is there a way to tell from part number or serial on the drive unit ? I found the Tesla VIN decoder but not really that helpful if I only have part numbers or serials only.

The reason I ask is EV controls advised to source the P85D P90D or P100D drive units for the dual motor setup I’m planning . I just don’t know much about the drive units to ensure I purchase the right drive unit I need. Perhaps I’m not very good at searching the net as I wasn’t able to find a definitive answer.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mods, if this is in the wrong section please move to the appropriate sections as needed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need help with understanding and identifying the Model S drive units . The EV Controls T-1C has capability to control model s dual motor. However it would have to be P85D , P90D, or P100D rear drive unit coupled with front.

Are large rear drive units only in the P85D P90D P100D and all others (rwd or awd) use a small rear drive unit ?
Close...
  • A rear-wheel-drive Model S has a just large rear drive unit,
  • a non-performance AWD (called "Dual Motor" and indicated by "D" on the end of the designation, but no "P" in front) has a small front and a small rear drive unit, and
  • a Performance AWD (indicated by a "P" on the front of the designation, plus the usual "D" on the end) has a small front and large rear drive unit.

There is no 2WD Model S with a small drive unit.
Thanks for the info. That is what I was not sure about is that a rwd model s can have a large rear motor.

Do you know how I can identify if a large motor is from a rwd model s or from a Performance D ? (Without knowing the donor car VIN)

Is there a way to identify via the drive units part number or serial number ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.