DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an application that requires high momentary axial power. Averaging to 100-200kw depending on load few minutes at the time. Maximum power is probably around 350kw. Device is run periodically. Currently the task is run with decently sized freebreather gasoline engine.

To cut the costs and make operating more straightforward I started the calculations to convert in full electric. Initial plan was after bemoaning the size of industrial electric motors(used with their nominal specs) to have tesla driveunit as a compact pack to crank the axle and some industrial motor connected to massive flywheel system to provide all the momentary electric power. Electricity subscription is only ~3 400V 63A equaling into 40kW of electric power. But same time charging energy to flywheel and discharging into 400V DC for the inverter is not a trivial task let alone the calculations required for the car size flywheel, building it, balancing it, vacuum etc. So I calculated supercaps next. 3kwh hour pack costing around $26k. There was open issues with rectifying 3phase electricity charging the pack and DC-DC conversion for inverter. Then I calculated power loss in the pack at maximum power and got whoppin +400kW of heat in the pack resulting in need to make pack conciderably larger. I thought to myself it was literally cheaper to buy a brand new Tesla model S and crank the axle with it than do any of this mess at all.

Eureka! :eek:
I had just been looking for salvage Teslas in my search for the driveunit.
And then after going back to salvage auction sites I saw the price of those pieces of dented aluminum, glass shatter and airbags hanging.
Totaled ones are even below $15k and nice almost driveable ones $25k.
I can remove the driveunit and the battery and the charger and marry them together as a system that is proven. I could run it utilizing it's original controls or to get some of such boxes that talk to driveunit. Or do the hacking myself.

So I'm here to ask Pros. Or if no pros around to ask were Tesla hacking pros hang around?

Model to choose:
1) There has been driveunit failures and other nuisances. Do anyone have information about those and what minimum year model to choose?
2) Has there been changes that would make utilizing of the technology harder in later models?

Condition of the salvage car:
1) Is there any tesla pro hacker I could pay to inspect the car better than I myself could?
2) What to inspect? What to measure? Or just pay little extra and buy a car that hapilly spins the wheels and doesn't complain anything and be done?
3) How many fuses and safety latches, software hooks the car blows or sets in a crash and is there anything that anyone else than Tesla authorized service can do?
4) Does batterypack survive the crash(headon or rollover) well?
5) What happens when coolants leak out? Does the car protect it's systems according the temperatures or even turn off all power? Or just fry everything? Salvage cars usually have their coolers in shatters so can those cars be then tested anyhow or even powered on?
6) Is there anything worth selling in rollover or otherwise badly dented car when I take all the electronics, displays, front seats, whole powertrain, brakes, A/C system. Do anyone do anything with frame/chassis parts or some wheel struts of wheels that I would even bother to try to sell them?

Modifications:
1) Recommendations for throttle control?
2) I need a mod that enables both charging and driving at the same time.
3) Recommendations..

Am I missing something? :eek: It all seems so simple.

·
Administrator
6,082 Posts
Hi kake
Stick your location on the control panel - could be useful

Your idea sounds good - have you tried the Tesla owners sites? - they will be able to say if some power units are known to be weak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts