DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe Tesla insurance rates are hurt by a couple of pretty basic things.

1. The combination of aluminum body and basically a requirement that Tesla's be repaired by Tesla or an approved body shop lead to astronomically high costs for even minor damage.

I met a Tesla owner from Kansas city who had had his car repaired from hail damage four times. $14-$19k each time.

Tesla basically insists that Tesla repair the car and they make parts availability and repair data quite difficult to get. This increases repair cost.

2. Because of high repair costs, the Insurance companies are quick to "total" the car. They recover some of the value by remaindering the car to salvage auctions. Your insurance rates are heavily affected by the prices they get from the salvage of the totalled vehicle.

Salvage value is driven by a couple of items. There are a lot of people who purchase salvaged autos and repair them and resell them. But again, Tesla does not make repair data and parts available almost at all. Indeed, they have been known to actively DISABLE cars over the air.

As most of the large electronic parts are under warranty in almost all of the cars on the road, there really isn't any automotive aftermarket for drive trains and batteies parted out.

And so the residual value of Tesla's is reduced.

Musk thinks he's just dealing with greedy insurance companies and seeks to start his own to counter this issue. But he'll run into the same issues unless he assumes repairs, which I guess he could do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simply no. It is very much by design. There are no "parts shortages" for the Model S or X Try buying them to repair a wreck.

They REALLY DO discourage such work and there are dozens of reports of people who tried to repair wrecked Teslas who have looked into this monster and retreated in horror at what they encountered.

The one I never understood was a guy in California who is essentially famous for doing SUPERB stretch limousines of everything but mostly luxury cars and notably a hummer. He bought a BRAND NEW Tesla Model S and did a stretch on it and Tesla deliberately, deceitfully, and emphatically shut him down and his car off.

Why they would NOT want a stretch Model S limo escapes me. And the guy doing it was no home tinkerer. He was a VERY accomplished professional much in demand.

Ironically, the build was a bespoke for INTEL, one of Teslas suppliers at the time.

For a supposedly open source car, Tesla has been a horror in recent years. Therre are currently no SCHEMATICS even of the Model 3. Shortage of PDF space?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nothing much has changed here since my last visit months ago. You guys type a tremendous amount of text with no information content but lots of conjecture.

Setting aside the Model 3 for the moment, and discussing JUST the Model S, there simply IS no shortage of parts. But many are "restricted" and even those repairing wrecks have actually PURCHASED non-restricted parts up to the point where Tesla became aware of what they were doing, and then suddenly they had ZERO access to parts.

This is not a theory. It is not conjecture. It isn't any of your wild eyed defense of your hero. We have first hand knowledge of numerous cases of this.

Elon Musk very specifically DID use the term OPEN SOURCE when originally describing his patent position, though he has furiously and regularly backpedalled away from that position at the behest of his legal team.

And yes, I am Jack Rickard and cannot help it. I always was.

Good to hear from you Kevin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.