DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Tesla Powered BMW E31 8 Series

40540 Views 110 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  jackbauer
So some of you might already know about my E31 conversion as it's been going on 3 years now! Currently running a Siemens 1pv5135 motor and DIY inverter and 6 speed manual gearbox. Has been running very well the last few months but with the Tesla components becoming available and my work on the open source control boards progressing nicely I've decided to convert the E31. Again.

I had originally thought to use the small high efficiency drive unit but decided to go all in and put in the Large rear unit for 450hp+ :D

Going to be getting some help and the use of a workshop and vehicle lift for the drive unit install as it will need some serious work done to the rear subframe and boot floor. Once the drive unit is in then I can start putting some batteries into that nice big empty engine compartment. Should make quite a fun car and test bed for the open source control board. Stay tuned:)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,362 Posts
That's a long way of saying: I'm looking forward to seeing how he plans on getting that much power out of a battery pack. That'll have to be some pack!
Agreed, it's a system wide challenge, but given Sasha's Evora has already hit 450HP with a single motor and Volt pack, I'm confident the open source system will deliver a lot more when coupled with a suitable battery :D

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Preparing an early Christmas present for Der Panzer...

Tesla Front Junction Box, DCDC, PTC Heater, Air Con Compressor, Battery Heater... and from Anne at New Electric, two Tesla battery modules :cool:

Let the open source mayhem continue :D

Attachments

· Registered
1,362 Posts
I don't think Kevin or others have found putting a Tesla drive unit in to VW van to be trivial, either; they're getting there, but had to cut vehicle structure to get it in...
On the prototype VW Bus we cut one chassis cross member. However, we have realised that this is unnecessary and the next version will bolt on without any cuts.

The VW Beetle requires no cuts and as a non-car person I'd say it's trivial to fit a Tesla drivetrain... indeed, it was much easier than removing the old ICE components :)

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Do you know the width of the motor?
There's a 3D scan of the 'large' drive unit on GrabCAD (here).

If you need more information then try asking Chris Hazell (here) who's using the 'large' drive unit in his 350Z project (here). You may find Damien's a little busy ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.