DIY Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm only taking a somewhat informed guess from reading their website, but if you are referring to the "Boost 50" product, this is for an intact Model 3 rather than DIY use of Model 3 components
No, I'm referring to their battery and motor controller: TESLA MODEL 3/Y BATTERY & MOTOR CONTROLLER

This is the part that confuses me, its just the right combination of badly written and too high level to understand:

MOTOR CONTROLLER (Drive Inverter)
The Motor can be controlled in 2 different ways for the functions: drive, reverse, park, creep and regen.
. The first way is by CAN bus which will be provided with a CAN data base. This data base allows to receive live data like speed, power, regen, voltage, temperatures. It also allows the control of several limitations such as maximum power, regen by braking and more. Works only with battery & motor controller

2. The second way is with digital inputs to control PRND, creep and regen with buttons. There are also outputs to turn on reverse and brake lights. Works only for the motor controller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As the description says, that's the whole drive unit: two motors and two reduction gearboxes. It doesn't appear to include the inverters, but that's only a guess. Less than $10K USD - not bad!
Yes, the Inverter is listed separately:
$1010 again seems quite reasonable! However both are 'restricted' so suspect actually buying one without a broken Plaid car may be difficult?
Looks similar to the Model 3 Inverter in design with Silicon Carbide. Only lists the Qty as x1 - so could 1 inverter control both rear motors?

The best value through looks like the long range rear motor at 'only' $2.5k - again looks 'similar' to the Model 3 to me?

Interestingly the Plaid Inverter is cheaper than the LR

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Yes, the Inverter is listed separately:
$1010 again seems quite reasonable! However both are 'restricted' so suspect actually buying one without a broken Plaid car may be difficult?
Yes, "restricted" presumably means you can only buy it as a replacement for your Tesla - they may even want the old unit back in exchange to keep owners from buying them on behalf of other people.

The new listings are great to describe the parts; the only actual source of major Tesla parts is salvage from wrecked cars.

Looks similar to the Model 3 Inverter in design with Silicon Carbide. Only lists the Qty as x1 - so could 1 inverter control both rear motors?
That's one unit (box), containing two independent inverters. It is not possible to run two synchronous motors that are not mechanically linked together from one inverter, and even when two motors are mounted on the same shaft, they normally get their own inverters. Even with a different motor type (e.g. induction) you wouldn't want a single control of two motors; the ability to individually control the torque to the two wheels at the same axle is most of the reason for using two motors - it's marketed as "torque vectoring".

The best value through looks like the long range rear motor at 'only' $2.5k - again looks 'similar' to the Model 3 to me?
It could be, like the front motor in the current AWD Model S, but even more similar to the Model 3 rear package. It looks much like the small rear induction drive unit, but the illustration on the Tesla website's Model S page shows that the motor is ahead of the axle line, just like the Model 3 (not behind the axle line like all of Tesla's induction motors). If only one could buy them this way it does look like they would be a good deal... and since Tesla has owners captive for these parts, I don't know why Tesla isn't charging more. Of course, they rarely fail, so few would be sold and so the price doesn't matter much.

But I'm sure that tiger82 isn't actually shopping for a next generation of powertrain for the Cobra, so this discussion should really be in a different thread.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts