DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am currently working on a build plan to mount a Tesla Small Drive Unit to the rear of a Landrover Freelander 2004 V6. The plan is to have about a possible 200hp from the motor.
Problem is the space at the rear allows me to only mount it back to front meaning since speed in the reverse direction is low(or not a great idea) I am left with the option of mounting it upside down.

Questions:
1. What is the risk of installing the Tesla SDU upside down apart from oil cooling challenges that might arise?
2. What other motor options can give the same power/weight/size as the Tesla SDU?

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Would you have the option to mount a Front Small Drive Unit rather than a rear Small Drive Unit. That changes the differential from the front to the back.
No, it doesn't. The Model S and X drive units all have the motor behind the axle line... front, rear, small, and large.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you need a drive unit so that axle faces toward the rear of the car, I would suggest waiting for the Model 3 drive unit to be available in the near future .

I am also looking for similar orientation , model 3 drive unit . I emailed EVWest a month ago and they said they are working to have it available in the next couple months or so. I would suggest to wait and do it the way you want or need to . There is also 057 Technology / HSR Motors , I didn’t contact them yet to see if they will have one available soon too. But if you contact them let us know what they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can mount it backwards so that your reverse becomes forward. You will need to have an external oilpump though as the one in the sdu only works in fwd mode. I think that is easier than mounting it upside down as you would keep the place of the oil level for suction. EV romania has done that in a vw golf

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could switch the tubes in the oilpump! I do this with a small rear drive unit and it works well. So you should switch two of the three motorphases and encoderphases, to turn this Thing in the other direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could switch the tubes in the oilpump! I do this with a small rear drive unit and it works well. So you should switch two of the three motorphases and encoderphases, to turn this Thing in the other direction.
That is very interesting. Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
98 Posts

The Oilpump is could turn reverse, only the direction of the oilflow change, so you could change the tubes and lets go. But an external electric Oilpump with a filter is better.
The Motorcables could be seen at the picture too.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts