DIY Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Questionable call to attack the members of a forum in your second post. See how that works out when you need assistance or information...
If it cuts down responses from bickerers I'll be quite pleased. Alas, I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I modified my SDU for reversal operation, including the oil pump. It's not just swapping the tubes, you also have to modify the internal pressure regulation valve.
Regarding the bearings; resulting axial forces of the helical gears are taken by symmetrical deep-groove ball bearings which are locked into place in both directions. I don't see any problems.

Have written more info on the OpenInverter forum: Tesla SDU oil pump modification for reverse operation - openinverter forum
Hi Brian
Im doing the same with an SDU and will change to an external oilpump. Which external pressute regulation valve do you mean in your post?
/V

·
Registered
1 Posts
Giving the amount of time that has passed since the initial post on this thread, I would love to get an update on it. I must admit that I have no idea what is the risk of installing the Tesla SDU upside down, but I do know what will happen if you get into an accident and the car gets upside down. The roof hinge will be blocked, but the door hinge won't be, so the door will just open straight out the side without going up. At https://cararac.com/engine_oil/ you can choose the engine oil you need, according to your car needs, for a decent price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Giving the amount of time that has passed since the initial post on this thread, I would love to get an update on it.
Im having my project in the workshop mounting the engine. Will post some pics when I have it back. I have checked into the SDU and there are two quite thick bearingrings holding the bearings in place for any axial force in either direction

41 - 44 of 44 Posts