DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the output voltage used by the Tesla thermal controller?
I want to use the solenoid on the cabin and chiller thermal expansion valve. These are controlled from the thermal controller.

I can feel it clicks at both 5V and 12V.
What do you expect, can it withstand 12V?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Can you measure the resistance of the coil winding?

Do you intend to turn it on with a constant voltage (peak current) or use some sort of "economizer" circuit to reduce the current after the armature pull-in?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resistance is 24 Ohm
It needs 3.2 V to engage but at that level it’s not very fast / firm. At 5 V it draws 0.2 Amps.
At 13.6 V it draws 0.6 Amps and shows no measurable increase in temperature after being on for 10 min.
Haven’t thought about economiser. Quick search explains that I could PWM control it perhaps. First high duty cycle to engage, then lower it to maintain. But am not sure whether that is even needed.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i think your test was a good idea. At 5V there is only 1W heating and 8W with 13.6V. My guess is that it is rated as a 10W device and intended to operate on 12V.

i have used TI chips DRV102, DRV110 to provide the pull-in current and then pull-back for holding solenoid valves. There may be other vendors out there also.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yes, I think it's intended to operate at 12V too.
The margin between 3.2V and 5V is quite small.

I'll look into those current controller chips!
Even though 8W is not much, it will help saving and keep the temperature low, also if it's on for longer periods of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts