DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
If you intend to put a Model X drive unit in the front of a Rabbit (or any typical transverse-engine car), you should be aware that it won't fit in the intended orientation. You might find the experience of 4G63T in his Mitsubishi relevant: see post #7 of The Evolution of My Evolution.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Maybe it might work in the correct orientation for your car.
I doubt there's much chance of that, but the dimensioned drawings certainly help. It looks like about 400 mm from front axle line to firewall would be needed, plus bracket allowance and clearance, or slightly less with some forward tilt.

The VW Golf (such as this Rabbit) is the prototype of the modern transverse powertrain layout, and like all examples of this design (including the Mitsubishi Lancer) the engine and transmission sit ahead of the axle line and so the firewall to front axle distance is as short as possible (given wheel well intrusion into the interior) and so too small for most drive units with the motor behind the axle.

The steering rack is behind the axle line and right at the location where the motor would sit, but the Model S/X front drive unit places the motor very high to clear the front of the battery pack, so there's a good chance it would clear the rack - that won't work with a Model S/X rear drive unit (large or small).

I was ok with running in reverse. But doing so took up more engine bay space verses using a small rear drive unit. Which i still have to install and run in reverse lol.
Good point: if reversing the drive unit orientation, the "rear" drive unit would likely be more suitable. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.