DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to everyone,

I was researching Tesla's batteries and found that they use Mica Shields to cover the top and the bottom of the battery modules. However one strange thing I have noticed was, the thermoformed transparant cases had this circular shapes and same shapes were used on Mica shields to fit on the transparant cases(Shown in Fig 1).

Fig 1

What I was wondering was, the shapes on this cases were varying some of them were cylinderical and none of them were centered(Shown in Fig 2). Why this might be?

Fig 2

Also does anyone have any idea what could be the material tesla used to fix Mica shields on the cases? (I am refering to the red and white materials shown in Fig 1)

I am grateful for any knowledge you can share.

Sincerely.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
i think they do that to save money during manufacturing and assembly--these are alignment features with one precision position (i.e. expen$ive) and 5 open tolerance positions (cheaper and quicker to build).

It appears that they use some sort of red silicone RTV compound (e.g. Permatex gasket maker) to hold the white plastic buttons to the mica sheet. Generally the red has a higher temperature rating than clear or other colored products.

The white buttons appear to have a centering nipple.

The cover sheet in fig 2 with the circular and oblong shapes provides a recess for the centering nipples such that the mica sheet lays flat. The lower right circular shape in fig 1 has a smaller diameter recess into which a nipple fits tightly--this is the precision position that sets the alignment. Then the other shapes are larger diameter or oblong to allow tolerance in positioning of the nipples to lodge and let the mica sheet lay flat.

So only one has to be exact, and the other five just have to be close, for the cover to fit. Imagine how difficult and expensive, and how many covers would be rejected, if all 6 positions must match up so the nipples fit tightly and exactly in the recess?

Do you know how to make some LED goggles?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You would be better off to resuse the whole battery pack, however it's rather large to fit under most project cars and would require raising the car frame suspension for mounting or better yet order a power wall and use the complete pack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts