I'm converting a 1969 Jaguar XJ6 to run with a Tesla P85 motor and 85kw battery pack. I want to drive it daily. I want it to look completely standard inside & out. I want to do a really classy/ professional job of the build with a similar comfort/ feel to a modern car. I have zero experience though so its a steep learning curve. photos below. Not my exact car but very similar.
My original plan was for a DC motor, powerglide and 30kw pack but I found a Tesla motor locally for little more than I would have spent on the DC motor so I grabbed it, same for the batteries. Its complicated the build somewhat but i'm enjoying (mostly) chewing on the problems and think its will be a classier, significantly more premium build when done.
I have the car, and have done a small amount of resto-modding. Removed the engine, welded up all the extra holes in the engine bay. It will get a coat of paint in time. I removed the front suspension and had it sandblasted and powder coated. I've upgraded the brakes and replaced every rubber bush with Nolathane and new ball joints too. I bought it thinking the paint was ok but on closer inspection it wasnt. I wish I hadnt spent as much on it, traps of old cars I guess. I added power windows and remote central locking. I'm trying to add AC which is as much of a challenge as anything. The car came with an aftermarket box under the glove box. I want the factory AC. I have nightmares about it fitting/ working/ breaking.
I had a range of rust to fix here and there, and there is a bit more to fix but if i fixed it all now i'd never get to the juicy bits. Leave the rest to the end.
I designed the battery boxes myself. When i pop the bonnet i want them to look clean and tidy. They had to be engineered to meet Australian standards, thankfully CAD has been useful in that regard.
The rear end will need to be redesigned entirely. The engineer didnt seem to worried about that so he has boosted my confidence. I'm thinking a trailing arm set up at this stage. Double wishbones could be tricky to fit around the motor.
As of today I'm in the process of bench testing the motor using the VCU. I also need to weld the battery mounting frame. Once those jobs are done, i'll eye off the motor mounting frame and invite the engineer to help design suspension. He has to sign it off at the end so working with him along the way makes my life easier. My quiet job is trying to devise a means for the VCU to drive the original guages. Im thinking of achieving this through an Arduino and stepper motors.
That'll do for now. more when i can find the photos i thought i had.