DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to being able to test my car, but i dont have the batteries yet.
I have heard you can test with a regular outlet.

How would i go about doing so?

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I'm getting close to being able to test my car, but i dont have the batteries yet.
I have heard you can test with a regular outlet.
Hey omo,

I don't think so. You do know the difference between AC and DC, don't you? Even if you were to rectify the AC, you will still have substantial ripple and this can cause serious trouble to the controller.

Better wait for the batteries.

major

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey omo,

I don't think so. You do know the difference between AC and DC, don't you? Even if you were to rectify the AC, you will still have substantial ripple and this can cause serious trouble to the controller.

Better wait for the batteries.

major
Couldn't he use the charger?

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
Couldn't he use the charger?
Hey Jan,

Maybe. But I doubt it. Most chargers have enough brains not to output anything if they don't see a load with voltage. And then, even if it is a stupid charger, without the battery voltage on the output side, you're likely to get a lot of ripple. This all depends on the particular charger design. I'd advise against it.

major

·
Registered
893 Posts
You could hook up your regular/cheap 12v battery charger to your motor. That is how NetGain advises you to bench test the motor. Obviously you'd want to use a low setting and make sure the car isn't able to move! Just sayin..... :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Just don't hook to the controller. Wait until you have your batteries. How soon before you have the batteries?

Pete :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How soon before you have the batteries?
well i can put in the order whenever i want, and they take 2 weeks to ship. I was gonna order them once i was ready for them and had racks built.

Right now im close to having everything done, except i havent started on racks.

Thanks for all the input. I was thinking i could hook up the charger leads to my system to emulate a battery pack...guess not :)

G

·
0 Posts
Nice to see your home built controller working and using low voltage too. Nice. So you can start with low voltage and work up later. :) Or just start with the top voltage. Nice to see things moving. Saw your blog clip. :) Lookin Good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts