DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a CBAIII and testing some 160ah TS cells. What should the sag be if pulling 10amps? How about 20amps?

thanks
Francis

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sag = (Internal resistance) * (Current).

Note if you go from 0 to some current you can get a higher sag than if you go from I1 to I2 currents -- batteries can have a "surface charge" that gives them high voltage right off charge that dissappears quickly.
I am using a CBAIII and testing some 160ah TS cells. What should the sag be if pulling 10amps? How about 20amps?

thanks
Francis

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

thanks
Francis
It's going to be tough to determine the internal resistance (Ri) data on a 200Ah cell if you can only load it at 0.05C or 0.1C. You are trying to measure a resistance in the milliohm range, and 10A across 1 milliohm results in 10mV of drop. You need a damn good meter to measure that accurately. If you can make the difference in testing currents at least 100A then even a crappy hardware store meter will let you make a decent Ri calculation.

Oh, and definitely test at two different currents, not 0A and some current, to get Ri. Surface charge is very minor in LFP, but on a TS 200Ah cell I have right here it is 16mV going from 0A to 3.4A of load. That totally swamps the actual internal resistance I've measured for this cell of 1.7 milliohms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts