DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is one of the factory Ford Ranger EVs, about 1,800 of these trucks were built from 1998-2001, and unfortunately most of them were crushed in the early/mid 00's. There are now only about 3-400 left...

I have two of these trucks, and I don't need two, so I'm putting this one up for sale.

It's powered by a 67kW Siemens 3 phase AC induction motor, mounted in the rear between the frame rails. The battery pack sits between the frame rails and stretches almost the entire wheelbase of the truck. This is the earlier model that had the mono-leaf fiber composite suspension and Watt's linkage (later models used conventional steel leaf springs, and no Watt's linkage). It is also equipped with A/C, power steering, power brakes, heater, etc. It also has the frame for the factory OEM tonneau cover, but is missing the vinyl top. You might be able to have a new top made for it.

To let you know a little more about the truck, I picked this up recently after it had been sitting for quite a while, I originally got this as a parts truck, but it's only got about 34k original miles, and I feel it should be saved rather than parted out, especially since there so few of these left. As much as I'd like to just keep it, I certainly don't need two of them.

According to the previous owner, it was driven a couple times 3 years ago, but he did not have the onboard charger, and had to give back the one he was borrowing, after which it was parked, since I got it, I've installed a "new/used" charger, but the truck still needs batteries. This was originally a lead acid powered truck, and could have lead acid put in again, but I would recommend doing a lithium swap, which would make the truck much lighter, and give it substantially more range.

It's also missing the key for the door locks. Someone before me swapped out the ignition lock cylinder, and those are the only keys I have for it... The tires on it are dry rotted from sitting, and one has the tread coming off, so it will need new tires as well.

There is a little bit of damage to the passenger side fender and door, but other that the the body is really straight, with decent paint other than a few scratches.

If you're interested in it as is, or would be interested in it all fixed up, let me know. Truck is registered non-op, and I have a clean title in my name. As is, I'd like to get $2500 for it (or trade for batteries to get my other truck up and running). This is a truly rare piece of EV history that should be preserved and enjoyed.

P.S.
If you want it fixed up, I might be willing to do that too (I probably will anyways if I don't get any interest in it as is). Price for that would depend on what kind of range and other capability you'd want out of it. If you are really interested in it fixed up, I might be willing to take your wants/needs into consideration with what type of batteries to put in. Feel free to shoot me a message for any questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know you said charger was missing, any other parts mia? Are dead batteries still in it with cables? What size batteries were they? I have a bunch of 12v valence I would love to put to use in one of these.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you said charger was missing, any other parts mia? Are dead batteries still in it with cables? What size batteries were they? I have a bunch of 12v valence I would love to put to use in one of these.
Sorry I didn't reply back earlier, it seems my email notifications aren't working...
Everything else is there, and I can probably include a charger in the sale if you really want it, but it can't be used if you decide to do a lithium swap anyways.
The previous owner swapped out the original lead acid batteries for some "newer" used ones just to get the truck to run when he had first gotten it. I'm not sure what batteries are actually in it, whether they are the original 8v type batteries, or if they were replaced with 12v batteries. I haven't opened up the battery case myself, but I would assume the latter since you can't actually get the 8v batteries anymore...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to the post, the truck has had an onboard charger put in, but will still need batteries to get running again. I also found a charge port door cover, but no hinge (might need one fabricated).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts