DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Tesla and the zombie are the using ac or dc motor?

and one other thing if you use ac motor that means you have to change dc fro batteries to ac power but in dc motor you dont need to change any thing right?

best regents Ragnar

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
the Tesla and the zombie are the using ac or dc motor?
The Tesla Roadster is AC induction; White Zombie uses a Siamese pair of DC motors.

and one other thing if you use ac motor that means you have to change dc from batteries to ac power but in dc motor you dont need to change any thing right?
Not really. All motors are AC inherently; DC motors don't use electronics to convert DC to AC; they use brushgear instead.

Also, all DC motors require effectively a voltage change from the battery to the motor (except when at wide open throttle at close to maximum speed), so a controller is required for DC EVs. So "don't need to change any thing" isn't right. An AC controller is more complex, with up to 6 times the number of high power switches (if you don't count the freewheeling diode as a switch), but the extra complexity allows regenerative braking.

It is arguable as to whether you lose more power in the extra switching devices (AC) or the brushgear (DC).

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The Zombie has 2 motors end to end and no transmission. The motor output goes down a racing driveshaft into a narrowed Ford 9 inch rear axle with about 3.50 gears (not sure the exact ratio in it right now.) The motors have been assembled into one (built onto a single shaft) by Jim at HiTorque Electric.

·
Administrator
6,060 Posts
Hi Ragnar

The Tesla also uses a single gear reduction - about 8 : 1
It can do this because the motor is good to 12,000 + rpm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.. but zombie has 2 motors.. one for driving front and one for driving back.. but on a dc motor can´t you use it like ac motor you have 3 inputs for electrisity and if you switch 2 inputs it rotates in the other direction?

so you don´t need 2 motors just use 1 motor and make it rotate in the other direction? do you under stand what I mean?

·
Administrator
6,060 Posts
No Ragnar
Zombie has two motors on one shaft - to get twice the power!
To reverse he reverses the field coils - motor(s) go backwards!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Ragnar
Zombie has two motors on one shaft - to get twice the power!
To reverse he reverses the field coils - motor(s) go backwards!
ok he has 2 motor (250hp x2 right?) but i cont understand what you mean by reversing the field coils.. I am an electricen in Iceland but i cant understand the´s worlds.. what is field coils?

and how fast can the zombie go and how far on the charge?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts