DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Window tinting.

I recently purchased a 2010 Wheego Whip off eBay for $3,600. The car came with the dealership flyer featuring its original $21,990 price tag. For $21,990 the thing is a ripoff; for $3,600 it's an amazing deal - especially since University of Cincinnati charges $315/semester for parking while the City of Cincinnati offers free metered parking for EVs.

I of course noticed that running the rather lousy AC drains the battery, as does excessive cabin temperatures - and the Whip is known for having overheating issues.

My solution was to simply tint the windows. I actually had them tinted darker than is legal in my state, under the premise that illegally tinted windows on a low-speed electric vehicle is like a ten-year-old jaywalking. I found this increased the range and performance of the vehicle on the order of a few percentage points on decently sunny days.

I Googled pictures of electric smartcars similar to the Whip but found no examples of electric smartcars with tinted windows. I find this very hard to understand.

In my opinion, the darkest legal tinted windows should be standard equipment on all EVs because they enhance not only the car's performance but also its life expectancy. Given that window tinting costs about $150, reduces the cabin temperature of the car by a few degrees on average, and there is pretty good data regarding the difference a few degrees make, window tinting is a financial net gain under any realistic conditions. I don't see why absolutely everyone isn't tinting their EV windows as dark as their state permits.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
i was actually thinking of doing this exact thing for the exact reasons u mentioned

my car is a hatch and has a huge piece of glass at the back right over the batteries, gets pretty warm in there and i have one of those thermometers/voltmeters that plug in to the cig lighter

gets pretty damn hot in there with all the windows up and its only spring
ill have to do this for sure or im gonna cook something in summer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts