DIY Electric Car Forums banner
201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I took the EV 80 back to the same scales that I weighed it on before I started. Everyone wants to know the weight, well here it is: 5180 lbs. Remember, when it was stock it weight 5080 lbs. So that means currently it is sitting 100 lbs heavier. This is with the addition of my 17" wheels and Nitto tires, steel bumpers front and rear, and a Warn 10k winch on the front. I would say apples to apples it is 100-200 lbs lighter than it was stock if the armor and mods aren't part of the equation. Really cool! I said I wasn't going to post any more photos before Moab but I lied I guess.

Stock:

I have a 93 that I've put 30,000 miles on over the last 3.5 years but my engine just died. I'm not wanting to let it go, but I also don't want to put a new gas engine in it. Following your project now! Would love to see someone start doing these conversions commercially.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Ignoring all of the (significant) details of before and after equipment differences, this illustrates the importance of the specific engine. The original engine in this vehicle is vastly heavier than the engine in a typical car, so the conversion doesn't see the weight gain that would typically be expected.
Nonsense. Build choices always determine the final weight and how close it is to the original.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I think the lesson in choosing your project vehicle is to take a holistic approach and sketch out or visualize all of the components coming out and all the components going in. Some cars just accept conversions better than others. But yes, @brian_ is right if you are converting a car with an aluminum block that's a good sign it's going to end up heavier afterwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a fun build. Looking forward to see what it can do better than ICE.
You inspired me into looking into Leaf conversion for a Rav4. FWD would likely be easy but I want to keep the AWD. There is a Rav4 AWD conversion on here but DC drive. The one thing I think might stop me cold is physical motor size due to proximity of the differential. So could you get me the dimensions of the motor? See this post.
2001 "REV4" - Build Thread post 26

Added April 24
Thanks for posting pictures on the REV4 thread. They are a big help. I can make it work if I go that way.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
The maiden trail run went just about perfectly! The EVJ80 rocked! It really is working well on the trails. I have a few things to improve, some things to change, but overall I am impressed it honestly did better than I was expecting.

I'll have a more detailed report later after the event. Having too much fun currently :geek:

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Fluid Gas Font Auto part Display device

201 - 220 of 236 Posts