DIY Electric Car Forums banner
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The load sensing prop valve delete makes sense. I guess your Toyota probably has nice fixed calipers and typical better than American truck brake feel. I use a home made pressure bleeder made from a small Home Depot pump sprayer after replacing lines. I have a master cylinder pressure bleeder cap kit but it doesn’t work on some classic cars. I make a custom master cap for those vehicles by screwing a fitting into an old plastic master cylinder cap.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Did you think about switching over to electric brake boosters like those found on Tesla and a few other cars?
I thought about it briefly but just decided to use the stock system and a vacuum pump. The vac pump was about $100 it doesn't get cheaper than that. I'm a big fan of KISS, I don't want to re-engineer an entire vehicle, just convert it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm starting to lean this way as well. I want an electric version of what I love to drive. Just read an article about the lack of steering feel from electric power steering assist and that's pushing me towards electric hydraulic power steering and possibly just electric brake boost rather than direct electric. Don't feel as strongly on the braking but feeling the road as directly as possible is a big part of driving for me, right along with stick and clutch, though I realize that can't be maintained the same way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would be more interested in going through the pain and cost of switching to electric booster if and when products like resolve ev are able to enable regen through the brake pedal while holding off on hydraulic pressure during a stop (aka blended brakes). I know regen when throttle is released is adjustable for one pedal driving but blended brakes are really nice on the oem hybrid and evs I have owned. This is probably still a ways off for ev conversion due to the complexity and potential danger of dialing it all in.
electric power steering seems like a better use of time and energy but still very involved. It’s sort of a conversion within a conversion. At least it allows you to get rid of a stupid leaky, noisy fluid system. Doesn’t every old car seem to leak power steering fluid everywhere!

·
Registered
45 Posts
We are planning both electric brake boost with a ibooster as well as adding on a electric steering assist to the stock jeep steering rack (disconnect the hydraulic lines) that has a speed signal input for speed sensitive steering. I was told that the AEM VCU200 has a brake pressure input that can take the brake line pressure and add in regen from the e-motor for blended braking (in addition to one-pedal driving). We will for sure be sharing our experience on all of this...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
... Just read an article about the lack of steering feel from electric power steering assist and that's pushing me towards electric hydraulic power steering and possibly just electric brake boost rather than direct electric. Don't feel as strongly on the braking but feeling the road as directly as possible is a big part of driving for me, right along with stick and clutch, though I realize that can't be maintained the same way.
The effect on feedback with electric brake boost is not the same as the effect on steering... I wouldn't worry about it the brake feel.

Even in steering much of the issue is likely just over-boosting, and the issues caused by assist motor inertia and drive gearing drag should vary between designs so some will be better than others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We are planning both electric brake boost with a ibooster as well as adding on a electric steering assist to the stock jeep steering rack (disconnect the hydraulic lines) that has a speed signal input for speed sensitive steering. .
I'm curious how this works since your Jeep does not use a rack and pinion steering. Is it an inline unit in the steering shaft, or what?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
So it's a column assist unit, and the hydraulics of the steering box (not rack) will need to be disabled.

Even in steering much of the issue is likely just over-boosting, and the issues caused by assist motor inertia and drive gearing drag should vary between designs so some will be better than others.
I was forgetting which vehicle this is... a TJ Wrangler has a recirculating ball steering gear (box), not a rack. Assist with this type of steering can be with a cylinder parallel to the axle, but in the TJ it's a hydraulic box. Like a hydraulic rack it could be just bypassed, but it would be better to fully disable the hydraulics.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts