DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Tonight has been rather depressing and I don’t know what to say. 2nd wreck in this car special car I’ve had since I was 12 years old, 52 rebuilds to date, and was on Jay Leno’s Garage a few months ago.

This wasn’t even my fault again, stupid idiot didn’t yield on flashing arrow.

I don’t this is repairable, BMS boards smashed but only lost 1 cell. I think this might be the end of my car...

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad dude. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks... they say everhing happens for a reason, and I’m just trying to figure out what this reason was.

What would you do, try and find another 80’ celica and put my components in that or find a different more modern car and convert that? Any opinions?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks... they say everhing happens for a reason, and I’m just trying to figure out what this reason was.

What would you do, try and find another 80’ celica and put my components in that or find a different more modern car and convert that? Any opinions?
Was the other driver found at fault? Perhaps there is an option for repair on their dime?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the other driver found at fault? Perhaps there is an option for repair on their dime?

Yes they were at fault and admitted to it. Their insurance company is Windhaven, and I am reading a lot of bad reviews online. Anyone have any experience with them?

I don't think this car can be repaired, the damage is just so much. As I can see now, I have only lost one cell and my BMS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry for your lost... That sucks!
As to your question of whether to rebuild or convert something else, I believe you need to ask yourself a few questions --
How much do really love that particular model of car? How difficult is going to be to find that particular model in good shape?

Since it won't be your original car, you're just going after the nostalgia of that model, or thinking that it'll just be easier to do because you've already done it once before. My advice is always to find a car that you're going to love to have for a long time... It might be a good time to try something else, or something that fits your life better, because maybe you need a truck or a four-door or something different... but if you decide that you really do love that car, then go for it and try to find another one.

It's your car, bro, do what you like, and don't let anybody talk you out of what you really want. Sometimes people do try to give you wise advice for practical reasons, but most vehicles don't really have practicality as a first priority, LOL.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember seeing you on Jay Leno and was very impressed. I know you have sentimental ties to your first invention, but you now have the chance for a v2.0 on the other guys dime. You should also think strongly about having a lawyer help layout all of the hours you spent and all the emotion associated with your build and what it will take for you to replace what was totaled. Your time and emotional attachments are worth $$$$.
Maybe try a later model Celica convertible or a Jeep this time?...
Hang in there. It’ll be ok, just stick to your guns.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Dude- your life is running parallel to mine, i swear!

I am SO SORRY to hear that your Celica got smashed for the 2nd time- neither time your fault!

Last time you got paid to repair the damage- but this time it looks like the car is really destroyed.

Unless you had "agreed value" insurance, it is going to be hard for you to get compensated for the true value of the car without getting a lawyer involved.

You are very lucky you are not in Ontario, that's all I can tell you. Here, my beloved E-Fire was destroyed in a very similar manner as you already know. A guy changed lanes into me on the highway, in busy traffic, fortunately at fairly low speed, but unfortunately it destroyed both sides of the car- one side from his tire and bumper impact which spun me around, and the other from being smashed again after I'd corrected back into the same lane.

In Ontario, compensation is paid out by your own insurer regardless who is at fault. And because I didn't have agreed value insurance which many classic car policies offer, I had no appraisal of the car before the collison and no collision insurance (If I crashed the car I knew I'd fix it myself so no need to complicate matters by insuring myself against it), the insurance company had no way to properly assess the value of the car and how much they should pay me out. They went through three assessors before they found somebody who could deal with a custom car, and he was required not to look at what it would take to re-build a car like my E-Fire, but rather what it would have sold for the day it was crashed. Those are the rules, baked into the provincially mandated policy you must buy here from a private insurer. If you don't like what they offer, the dispute resolution process is baked in here too: you have to hire your own appraiser at your own cost, then their appraiser and yours appoint a 3rd person to be an "umpire"...I knew that wasn't getting me anywhere so I didn't bother. The last bit of recourse is to sue the guy who hit you for the difference between what his insurance paid out and whatever you can justify it will cost you to get you back into the car you had prior to the collision. That too is costly and will take time.

In the end, I got a few thousand less than the total dollar value of all the parts and materials I bought to restore and convert the car. I got zero dollars for the car itself and zero dollars for our labour.

You at least are lucky that you can INSURE your car. In my case, I would already be building E-Fire Mark II starting with a nice clean southern US Spitfire except for insurance. Unless you want to lie or deceive, here in Ontario the only insurer who will insure an electric conversion of any kind is the Facility Association- the guys who insure people with DUIs, dangerous driving convictions, kids with accidents, or people with multiple at fault accidents. $4,100 per year, versus $270/yr for a gas engine Spitfire, or $670/yr for a Spitfire which is modded out with an 8 cylinder gasoline engine under 450 hp...Even though I'd only be driving it 6 months per year, it's a lot of money for a car which is actually SAFER than the Spitfire before conversion.

I'd focus on negotiating the best deal you can- submit all your receipts in a nice spreadsheet. Estimate your time- every minute you spent on research, fixing broken stuff, buying everything, converting, changing unsatisfactory things- all of it. Every bolt and nut and crimp connector and scrap of wire. Lay it all out for them.

Then you can find another Celica- or if you're not emotionally tied to the Celica, another cool car- and start all over again. But another Celica would be very tempting- just think how great it would be to have another parts car's worth of goodies stacked up for repairs! And how easy it would be to drop your motor onto another Celica tranny. They're around- you'll find one if you want it! And best of luck- hang in there! And be thankful, as I am, that we weren't hurt- it could have been much worse!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
... And because I didn't have agreed value insurance which many classic car policies offer, I had no appraisal of the car before the collison and no collision insurance ... the insurance company had no way to properly assess the value of the car and how much they should pay me out. They went through three assessors before they found somebody who could deal with a custom car, and he was required not to look at what it would take to re-build a car like my E-Fire, but rather what it would have sold for the day it was crashed.
I think this is what can be expected anywhere. What I'm sure you won't get is this:
You should also think strongly about having a lawyer help layout all of the hours you spent and all the emotion associated with your build and what it will take for you to replace what was totaled. Your time and emotional attachments are worth $$$$.
I don't think this is worth considering. Your time and emotional attachments are worth nothing to the rest of the world, and it is wildly unreasonable to expect a collision claim to compensate for these factors. Perhaps a civil suit in the U.S. could include "all the emotion", but this is a car, not your child, so you're not getting some lawyer to make a jury feel bad and award a huge pile of cash (which the lawyer would then take much of, as a contingency fee).

The idea of insurance is that you lose an asset, and you are given enough money to buy a similar asset. Look at what people sell their projects for, and you should realize that you would be lucky to recover the cost of the parts that were put into the car. That makes buying the vehicle back from the insurer for salvage value the way to do the next project; all of the work is going to have to be done again, and no one is going to pay for that. At least each project is easier than the one before, even for just an enthusiast and not someone running a conversion business, because you have a better idea of what you're doing.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
It's just my opinion, but I would want to find a more modern car, mostly for the availability of body parts. Choices are limited if you want to easily use the same transmission (so that you can use the same adapter and coupler), and unfortunately just about everything rear-wheel-drive and more recent (such as the AE86 Corolla) has been taken by "drifting" enthusiasts (or just Fast and Furious wannabes).

·
Registered
2 Posts
True, that is another way of looking at it but in different states, and countries, there are legal trends that are more common which would require a local attorney to verify how far one could/should go with a claim. I’ve seen several claims in AZ go as I outlined and even more in CA.
I guess in many situations it’s better to have more choices and/or info than nothing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I get a bit heartbroken every time this thread gets bumps. I feel for ya.

I don't know if it's of any solace, but, are you familiar with the "Ship of Theseus"?

https://youtu.be/kVAHXiKjgRo?t=11

If you had Benjamin Franklin's hammer, and eventually the handle broke and you replaced it, do you still have his hammer? If later the head breaks and you replace it, do you still have his hammer? Even though none of the parts are original? If someone takes the old parts and repairs them into a new hammer, is that also his hammer?

It's a philosophical quandary, but, "your" car can still be "your" car. I mean, the VIN puts a bit of a legal wrench in the works since it draws a line in the sand. Spiritually, replace all necessary parts, the way Theseus' ship would have to after nearly being wrecked in a storm, you're still onboard Theseus' ship.

Otherwise all we're talking about is metal and parts. Metal and parts can change, but you already know how to do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts