DIY Electric Car Forums banner

The Evolution of My Evolution

5256 Views 25 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  remy_martian
Hi fellow EV Conversion enthusiasts, experts and those searching to learn more that stumbled into this build. Please enjoy the show of someone that does not know what they are doing, learning on the fly, making bad decision and trying to improve and or recover. Maybe i should have named this the I dont know what I’m doing build.

I was planning to get a little further into the build before starting a thread, but there were some interest in it. So, I’m starting now and maybe it thread will have some great info from experts that other folks searching will learn as well.

My most favorite car is the 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution 8. I really like the way it looks , handles and the steering response is like driving a go-kart on rails . It was a powerful car from the factory and this particular one had about 556 whp . All wheel drive is a huge plus when trying to put the power to the ground. But a big turbo on a 2.0 L Turbo car with low compression ratio is terrible to drive on the road. I wanted the instant power of an Electric drive unit. Unfortunately the interior (other than the Recaro seats is cheap Lancer like.

I actually owned a blue 2006 Evolution 9 before this. But i sold that when i got married . Then later when i was ready again, searched for a never driven in snow/salt southern state Evo, to avoid all the rust problems. Chassis on this one had about 96,000 miles. Here are a few

More posts on the progress..
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
neat build so far -

TIP: I have used emachineshop in the past to make custom parts for my Exocet. I stumbled upon sendcutsend the other day. I just ordered an adapter plate in mdf as a mockup. Yep, they CNC parts in MDF. MDF is $30 vs $200 for the aluminum part. I have a tiny amount invested to test my design. Once i check it, I will push the button for the $200 part.
Thanks, I also used send cut send to order the cutout “plates” made of 3.2mm chromoly steel. I designed the pieces in such so they slip in/on together . Almost interlock but not quite lock.

That is a good advice to spend a little to order mock up pieces with inexpensive material before ordering the finished product .

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Merry Christmas everyone and happy holidays.

Well it’s been a pretty hectic couple months . Having covid delayed things and then now we are moving to a warmer state . :) I have to start looking into options for transporting my car.

I finished the motor mount bracket for the fire wall side . Once the Rustoleum Hammered paint dries I’ll install it to share a pic on the car. I could have done a better job cleaning off the metal but I just went over it once with a metal wheel brush . I’m not sure if I’ll have time to finish the side mount . I’ll probably just unbolt the drive unit .

Let me know your thoughts on its design.

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Happy new year to all .
Here is the picture of the bracket installed above the steering rack . The steering rack bolts down to the tubular from subframe . I just “piggy back” the bracket above so it bolts down with the steering rack .

All that’s left is trying to find best way to ensure the drive unit is level and then make a bracket for the side motor mount. Any recommendations on ensuring its level ?

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Laser/plasma cut the mounting plates. which will refer to the motor mount holes, which should nail the lateral "level".
To clarify , I was referring to leveling the entire drive unit left/right axle sides . So it’s not tilted/slanted towards one side .

I’m thinking of maybe placing straight TIG welding filler wire between the drive unit cv input to the wheels and eyeballing…

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.