DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been off forum for months due to family commitments, going back to "school" and writing & marketing a book..
But this news really got my attention.
The Lightning F150 is out next spring and it looks like it really will be priced below $50k for the average Joe. If Ford sticks to it's promises, it might even be below 35k for a fleet purchase with federal incentives. The 230-300 mile range advertised is with a 1000 lb payload or tow I believe. Ford seems to take the opposite attitude to most ev manufacturers and gives a conservative estimate of range.
If this truck can do what it says, it may be the biggest breakthrough in the ev market since the Tesla model S.
For me, it introduces a new opportunity to pursue my dream of building an electric Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator. Look at the picture of the rolling chassis. Its wheelbase is 12 inches longer than the Navigator L. I wonder how much a wrecked Lightning would cost once they've become abundant on American roads? One could aquire a salvage model and take the cab and bed off. You'd need to chop 12 inches off from the middle of the frame and move one of the "single deck" battery modules to a "double deck" I suppose. You could then get a high mileage or blown engine/transmission Navigator L. Take it off it's chassis and pop it on the shortened Lightning chassis. Take out the Lightnings' dash and fancy centre console. Put them in the Navigator and Bob's your uncle... I wonder if anyone else is thinking the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Remy, I thought about that too and wondered if there would be any point my build. But there's one point - the price...
An entry level Navigator is $76k now (up to $102k for the Black Label edition). When Ford releases the electric version maybe next year, it'll surely cost more than $90k for the entry level model. I think I could put my model together for under $35k. Then of course there is the "fun" of the build... 😊

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
The 230-300 mile range advertised is with a 1000 lb payload or tow I believe.
That seems exceptionally unlikely to me. Auto manufacturers never publish range or fuel consumption with a load, and especially not with a trailer, regardless of the fuel. Manufacturers are not legally required to publish fuel consumption information for heavier vehicles (such as Ford's SuperDuty pickups)... so they don't. The key to selling stuff with poor performance is to never mention the performance.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would give it 20% chance that Ford can deliver the specs (including price) they promise, and 10% that they will do it in the next 6 months.
"Ford and Rivian have abandoned a plan they had to jointly develop an EV together. In an interview with Automotive News, Ford CEO Jim Farley said the automaker will go it alone as it aims to produce 600,000 vehicles per year by the end of 2023."

They'll deliver...it's Toyota that's gunna get F'd (stock symbol pun intended)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would give it 20% chance that Ford can deliver the specs (including price) they promise, and 10% that they will do it in the next 6 months.
Both questions are valid. But I'm cautiously optimistic...
That seems exceptionally unlikely to me. Auto manufacturers never publish range or fuel consumption with a load, and especially not with a trailer, regardless of the fuel. Manufacturers are not legally required to publish fuel consumption information for heavier vehicles (such as Ford's SuperDuty pickups)... so they don't. The key to selling stuff with poor performance is to never mention the performance.
You may be right Brian, but I must say there have been numerous reports about the 1000 lb payload and Ford's underestimated range quote. Here's one from InsideEvs:
Maybe it's all marketing hype, but I hope it's not..

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
For me, it introduces a new opportunity to pursue my dream of building an electric Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator.
Or you could just buy a Rivian SUV or GMC Hummer EV SUV; Rivian has early production trucks built so the SUV should follow soon, the Hummer pickup is ahead of the Ford pickup so the Hummer SUV should be ahead of any Ford SUV on the same platform.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
You may be right Brian, but I must say there have been numerous reports about the 1000 lb payload and Ford's underestimated range quote. Here's one from InsideEvs:
Maybe it's all marketing hype, but I hope it's not.
The claim about the range being in loaded condition in that article refers to another article, in which there is no such claim in the text. It appears to come from the video in the second article, but I didn't even watch that because the 14 minutes of talking head won't likely have any authoritative reference - it's not an interview from anyone with Ford or a report of anything published by Ford. It's probably Ford marketing, by the current method of feeding nonsense to internet "influencers", whose common characteristic is that they are easily influenced themselves by rumours, favours, and outright payments rather than facts. "Numerous reports" often just means a bunch of people repeating the same nonsense that they want to believe, all based on the same single bit of fiction.

The first article mentions the range estimate from the dashboard screen. That's meaningless, since it could be based on any driving conditions, and isn't even from the production version of the software.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Order one and you'll see the options. The Lightning is the only real truck so far out of Cybrtrk, Rivian, Hummer, Lightning.

Optional 10,000 pound towing, iirc. I almost plunked down for one, but may piss that money away on an electric truck conversion that I may never finish 😂 Gregski's kicking my motivation in the butt right now, so he'll be to blame for me not having a Lightning.

Silverado and RAM are vaporware - GM made a huge blunder (they always do, it seems), by not leading with a pickup truck offering. They didn't realize how real the EV market is, or tye reduced cost of manufacturing over ICE. Ford now does...and Tesla and Rivian will be relegated to niche when Ford clears their huge backlog. The Lightning fleet model (for tradespeople) is $27 grand if the Senate approves the bill the House just passed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The Lightning is the only real truck so far out of Cybrtrk, Rivian, Hummer, Lightning.
I don't know how you define a "real truck", surely F150 Lightning looks like a truck look everyone is accustomed to, but... given its electric drive train, that will be a problem. I mean we've been over this a thousand times, especially with the conversions on this forum - you can't shove EV guts into an ICE vehicle and expect it to perform in all aspects. You can have performance, but you can't have range. Trucks, naturally, have even more problems. Not only the brick-style aerodynamics is bad for your range, but so is the heavy frame intended for hauling heavy stuff both in the bed and behind it.

Cybertruck really is THE ONLY EV truck in the list. Others may lack truckiness, or EVness, but CT is the only one that is expected to combine the two worlds. Sure, it may seem to compromise some of the traditional truckiness, but most of it is either superficial or has workarounds. Those are still very necessary compromises to make for the good EVness.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
The claim about the range being in loaded condition in that article refers to another article, in which there is no such claim in the text. It appears to come from the video in the second article, but I didn't even watch that because the 14 minutes of talking head won't likely have any authoritative reference - it's not an interview from anyone with Ford or a report of anything published by Ford. It's probably Ford marketing, by the current method of feeding nonsense to internet "influencers", whose common characteristic is that they are easily influenced themselves by rumours, favours, and outright payments rather than facts. "Numerous reports" often just means a bunch of people repeating the same nonsense that they want to believe, all based on the same single bit of fiction.

The first article mentions the range estimate from the dashboard screen. That's meaningless, since it could be based on any driving conditions, and isn't even from the production version of the software.
Unfortunately, until independent reviewers get their hands on them to perform actual loaded & towing tests, it's all nothing more than journalistic jibber-jabber.

Reactions: DrGee

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ford is not going to take a risk with fleet managers or with their reputation as No 1 truck manufacturer by falling short on tow ratings. They aren't Tesla.

If GM, Ford, or Dodge state GTW, it's a legally binding rating that the vehicle owner pays for - a hefty premium in the case of the Lightning.

If Elon Musk claims a Model X can tow an airliner, it's bullshit (the car is RATED at 5,000 lb). As is Ford towing a train car with a pickup truck in response to Musk. That is NOT the tow rating.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Rivian has delayed the first R1S deliveries; that's the SUV. In the recent (last couple of days) news coverage I see no mention of further delays to the R1T (the pickup truck), which is the only Rivian model in production. The R1T is relevant to the Ford F-150 Lightning because it overlaps in market and has preceded the Lightning in (limited) production (although not yet substantial deliveries).

As for the plan to put a large SUV body on a "full size" battery-electric pickup... the R1S remains ahead of a potential Ford production vehicle of this style (although there are several SUV EVs in production now), and will still likely beat any DIY project requiring a Lightning donor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts