DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been off forum for months due to family commitments, going back to "school" and writing & marketing a book..
But this news really got my attention.
The Lightning F150 is out next spring and it looks like it really will be priced below $50k for the average Joe. If Ford sticks to it's promises, it might even be below 35k for a fleet purchase with federal incentives. The 230-300 mile range advertised is with a 1000 lb payload or tow I believe. Ford seems to take the opposite attitude to most ev manufacturers and gives a conservative estimate of range.
If this truck can do what it says, it may be the biggest breakthrough in the ev market since the Tesla model S.
For me, it introduces a new opportunity to pursue my dream of building an electric Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator. Look at the picture of the rolling chassis. Its wheelbase is 12 inches longer than the Navigator L. I wonder how much a wrecked Lightning would cost once they've become abundant on American roads? One could aquire a salvage model and take the cab and bed off. You'd need to chop 12 inches off from the middle of the frame and move one of the "single deck" battery modules to a "double deck" I suppose. You could then get a high mileage or blown engine/transmission Navigator L. Take it off it's chassis and pop it on the shortened Lightning chassis. Take out the Lightnings' dash and fancy centre console. Put them in the Navigator and Bob's your uncle... I wonder if anyone else is thinking the same?

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Remy, I thought about that too and wondered if there would be any point my build. But there's one point - the price...
An entry level Navigator is $76k now (up to $102k for the Black Label edition). When Ford releases the electric version maybe next year, it'll surely cost more than $90k for the entry level model. I think I could put my model together for under $35k. Then of course there is the "fun" of the build... 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would give it 20% chance that Ford can deliver the specs (including price) they promise, and 10% that they will do it in the next 6 months.
Both questions are valid. But I'm cautiously optimistic...
That seems exceptionally unlikely to me. Auto manufacturers never publish range or fuel consumption with a load, and especially not with a trailer, regardless of the fuel. Manufacturers are not legally required to publish fuel consumption information for heavier vehicles (such as Ford's SuperDuty pickups)... so they don't. The key to selling stuff with poor performance is to never mention the performance.
That seems exceptionally unlikely to me. Auto manufacturers never publish range or fuel consumption with a load, and especially not with a trailer, regardless of the fuel. Manufacturers are not legally required to publish fuel consumption information for heavier vehicles (such as Ford's SuperDuty pickups)... so they don't. The key to selling stuff with poor performance is to never mention the performance.
You may be right Brian, but I must say there have been numerous reports about the 1000 lb payload and Ford's underestimated range quote. Here's one from InsideEvs:
Maybe it's all marketing hype, but I hope it's not..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts