DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing a build for a friend. It’s a late 90’s Ford Ranger that has had all the hard work done, just needs power, charger, BMS, programming, and pot box hooked up from what I can tell now. Goal is just to get it to 35 mph around town. I’m installing a 16s leaf setup, it has a 5 speed that should get it there and it will always be upgradable with plenty of voltage if we want to put more into the zilla controller. Warp motor is already installed and from what I can see, the wiring is messy but all the 12v stuff works (including the air conditioning). He has separate pumps for power brakes, air conditioning, and power steering all working. Looks like all there is left is assembling and mounting the pack, wiring the tap harness to the BMS, connecting the pot box, mounting and connecting the charger, wiring the pack to the zilla, programming it, putting in the warming lights, and driving it. Looking forward to the adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I finally got a chance to get started. The local hardware stores around here have been impossible to go to with the impending hurricane so I had to wait it out- looks like we are in the clear.

Got the leaf cells on the bench with some threaded rod and put the bus bars on. One cell was sourced separately so I will have to hook up my 58.4v charger to the other 7 to bring them up about .3v so I can start with a well balanced pack.

Made some easy mounts out of aluminum angle and picked a place to mount it behind the cab. The pack is only 10” tall, so the plans the owner has of putting a flip flop rear facing golf cart seat will fit perfectly over it.

One question- this being a gas vehicle conversion, obviously everything is grounded to the chassis still this means that the casing of the pack would also be grounded unless I put some kind of isolation on them. Am I alright keeping them mounted as is and being too cautious or should I isolate the mount from the chassis?

Also, going with this BMS to save money vs. a Zeva. Seems wimpy. Anyone ever use one of these? Feedback?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course pack voltage should be isolated. My question was regarding the truck’s 12v accessories being grounded and therefore carrying 12v current over the pack’s casing since they are mounted to the chassis.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Of course pack voltage should be isolated. My question was regarding the truck’s 12v accessories being grounded and therefore carrying 12v current over the pack’s casing since they are mounted to the chassis.
If the pack voltage is truly isolated from everything, by definition, the two voltages do not interact and you can mount anything 12v anywhere which could give you an electronic noise shielding. I have a cable or two in my ranger that have pack voltage and 12Vdc, and low voltage signal all in the same shielded bundle. It is all 1/8 amp fused, and it is 600v rated high temp insulation but that's just me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts