DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a slight problem on thursday, I got in my ev to go get some breakfast, turned on the key and......... ka booom, a battery exploded. now I did just finish going up on the voltage, but I drove the car on the new voltage on tuesday and it worked fine. all of the batteries were new in febuary of this year, and I have checked the water peroidicly about once a month, now I did not check the water in all the batteries, but after the explosion, I replaced the battery and checked the water, and the other 3 were real low, is it possible that low water and charging over night could have caused this battery to explode? I should mention the batteries are FLAs. I will post some pics of the battery when i get back home

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a slight problem on thursday, I got in my ev to go get some breakfast, turned on the key and......... ka booom, a battery exploded. now I did just finish going up on the voltage, but I drove the car on the new voltage on tuesday and it worked fine. all of the batteries were new in febuary of this year, and I have checked the water peroidicly about once a month, now I did not check the water in all the batteries, but after the explosion, I replaced the battery and checked the water, and the other 3 were real low, is it possible that low water and charging over night could have caused this battery to explode? I should mention the batteries are FLAs. I will post some pics of the battery when i get back home
I would guess the low water caused the internal resistance to rise. The charger didn't compensate and heat built up while charging. You unplug it and go to drive away, the motor pulls current on an already hot, already high-resistance battery and something gives. My $.02 analysis, take it for what it's worth. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts