DIY Electric Car Forums banner
181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
No, but the rest of the car is designed around that tire size. I can gear the rear end anywhere between 3.08 and 4.56, though. Depending on the characteristics of the motor I select, I may add a reduction at the motor end, which would give me even more options to play with.

After more searches on the topic, I think people may have been confused in the first set of posts I was reading. They were saying the max continuous RPM of the motor is 3300 but that may not be accurate. The datasheet says its max continuous power is 38 kW at 3300rpm. It may be just fine sustaining a lower power output at higher rpm. Going to call Netgain tomorrow to see if I can confirm that. Looks like I'd be drawing about 16kW at 60 mph according to a rolling/wind resistance calculator I found.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Somewhat Hyper9 related so am sticking my question here:
Regarding the AC-X1 controller, is CANbus cruise control possible? I see there are various generic CANbus cruise control stalks available e.g this one for motorhomes, but am unable to find anything about options in the TAU software relating to the AC-X1 receiving messages and being able to do an 'RPM hold'.

I haven't had any hands on experience with CANbus, so sorry if it's a sily question. No info in the AC-X1 manual and i can't do anything with the TAU software until i have a motor & controller sat in front of me

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't found my answer by using the search function so here is my question :
What is the temperature probe for the Hyper 9 ?

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

I've been using the KTY84-130/150 but it seems to report too high of a temperature when compared to an external probe.
Smart view reports 110°C when my external probe reports 40°C max.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear all,

I have two questions regarding the continuous power and rotor speed:
  • i found in several locations that the continuous power is limited to 38-43 kW. Is this due to thermal overheating? And if so, can it be increased by proper cooling? How long can you remain above it, say at 55 kW?
  • I also found that the continuous rated speed is 3300 rpm. Why is this limited? What would happen in you continuously drive at 5000 rpm but at low torque (as to remain below the continuous power

Thanks!
For context: we are electrifying an old van (Peugeot J9), which will probably weight around 3000 kg in the end. We are however limited to the power of the original engine for homogolation reasons, which is 60 kW. The hyper 9 looks like a very good option if you look at nearly all specs, except the continuous power would be quite limiting when driving slightly uphill. Anyone has experience with such conversions and advice on motor options?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, but the rest of the car is designed around that tire size. I can gear the rear end anywhere between 3.08 and 4.56, though. Depending on the characteristics of the motor I select, I may add a reduction at the motor end, which would give me even more options to play with.

After more searches on the topic, I think people may have been confused in the first set of posts I was reading. They were saying the max continuous RPM of the motor is 3300 but that may not be accurate. The datasheet says its max continuous power is 38 kW at 3300rpm. It may be just fine sustaining a lower power output at higher rpm. Going to call Netgain tomorrow to see if I can confirm that. Looks like I'd be drawing about 16kW at 60 mph according to a rolling/wind resistance calculator I found.
Any update on the second part of this post?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any update on the second part of this post?
Short Answer is .. it will be OK.

Longer Answer ... I'm sure a forum veteran will jump in, but with adequate Inverter cooling (the weaker link) pulling a much higher kW for long periods of time will be OK.
Without controller cooling ie cooling plate, water pump and radiator, probably not.

The motor itself is air cooled, and in my experience never seems to get hot, however it would be sensible to have at least a good air flow at vehicle speed, a fan is probably not needed.

These temperatures can be monitored continuously via the compact display or a laptop.

Finally - if you keep the gearbox - it will pull the Old Van OK, but dont expect to be doing any hot laps on track :)

181 - 187 of 187 Posts