DIY Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
... there is a single grounding lead for 12v.
Not in my case, I keep the controller and HV entirely separate from the chassis, and I'm pretty sure that's how Netgain expect you to wire it, but I am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone tell me what size fuse to use on the X-144 controller precharge circuit?
There is almost no mention of this in the Netgain (or Dana TM4) documentation, apart from it appearing on the wiring diagrams. What would be the maximum expected current on this precharge circuit?

this one:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Can anyone tell me what size fuse to use on the X-144 controller precharge circuit?
Yeah, the instructions that come with this setup are a little lacking. I dont think that the current drawn by the precharge is very much, and it is almost certainly very short-duration (so even an undersized fuse would probably not blow). I just put a fuse that would protect the wire in case of a short. I want to say I wired it with 12 awg, so I put a 20A fuse in there. There is not really much to be gained by putting in a tiny wire, and there is not really any harm in putting in a smaller fuse if it carries the load.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anybody know if I can change coil voltage in X144 settings to 48 Volts? Is this possible in the OEM Vendor Software Version?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anybody know if I can change coil voltage in X144 settings to 48 Volts? Is this possible in the OEM Vendor Software Version?
Not sure if this helps,
but On the OEM software the voltage % sets the voltage eg I tried experiment below by inputting random 96% > 96v and likewise Hold % eg 33% > 33v (up to 100v, at least on my 120V clone).

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Mark,
when I try to access the Google Drive it says I need to ask for access. When I try to send the message it says delivery failed. Is there a trick to access the page?
BR Heiko
Should be OK now - access for all

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hey, I worked a little bit on my truck again today, and I was curious about what you guys are doing for cooling on the controller/motor. @4Foxtrot you have liquid cooling on the controller and just airflow from the cars motion for the motor, is that right? I know the controller will derate itself at like 80C, but what sort of temperatures are you seeing on your smartview software during normal driving?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I only use air cooling. The controller is in an aluminum box that has two vents. On the Bottom of the box there is a cooling plate with thermal grease. The box is in the back of the car above the motor. I will see how temperature behaves and if I need liquid cooling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, I worked a little bit on my truck again today, and I was curious about what you guys are doing for cooling on the controller/motor. @4Foxtrot you have liquid cooling on the controller and just airflow from the cars motion for the motor, is that right? I know the controller will derate itself at like 80C, but what sort of temperatures are you seeing on your smartview software during normal driving?
Driving a light weight car in the UK (say 10c to 25c) I find the controller needs cooling (ie water) but not the motor. I'll check temps when next out in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

This is the underside of my Mini, showing the motor and heatsink for the controller in airflow. I stuck the heatsink to the X1 with the same thermal pads that ZeroEV use for their battery cooling plates. Hopefully it's ok for a very light car. 🙂

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is the underside of my Mini, showing the motor and heatsink for the controller in airflow. I stuck the heatsink to the X1 with the same thermal pads that ZeroEV use for their battery cooling plates. Hopefully it's ok for a very light car. 🙂
Fascinating, Pat (y) have you got a build Log, instagram or web page to show more ? #britsloveEVs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi - I run liquid cooling through the controller chill plate and I would say it definitely needs it. It runs about 25-30C with the cooling in place and fluctuates noticeably with driving style. I don't cool the motor (not even sure how you would do it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm back at it trying to limit the max current my X1 is alowed to take. I've done a small prototype board with isolated can buses and now the X1 can see a torque limit by analog input.
Problem is understanding the relation between DC amps and torque. As far as i can see, the DC curent increases with speed.
Anyone has done that before ?

Hi - I run liquid cooling through the controller chill plate and I would say it definitely needs it. It runs about 25-30C with the cooling in place and fluctuates noticeably with driving style. I don't cool the motor (not even sure how you would do it).
You don't cool the motor ? on my mx5 cooling the motor is absolutely neccesary or i get stuck motor over 130°C when a hill apears.
I got EVeurope liquid cooling kit and now i run at 60-70°C on the same hill.
For the SME i've got a piece of aluminium heatsink and a fan, it run about 30-35°C

Is your field weakening enabled ? what does this do ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm back at it trying to limit the max current my X1 is alowed to take. I've done a small prototype board with isolated can buses and now the X1 can see a torque limit by analog input.
I'd be interested to know what you did there - are you taking DCL and CCL levels from the Orion over CAN and converting them to voltage levels for the X1 analogue input? I had taken analogue outputs from the X1, for DCL/CCL and passed them through an isolator to the X1, for analogue torque and regen limiting, but I have removed it for the time being to keep life simpler.

Problem is understanding the relation between DC amps and torque. As far as i can see, the DC curent increases with speed.
Anyone has done that before ?
It'll be dependent on the car, the mass, wheel diameter, the drivetrain etc. Clearly, the faster you go, the more energy you need to expend, and the rate at which you do this work determines the power you need which is related to the torque etc. There is a good page here:

You don't cool the motor ? on my mx5 cooling the motor is absolutely neccesary or i get stuck motor over 130°C when a hill apears.
I got EVeurope liquid cooling kit and now i run at 60-70°C on the same hill.
For the SME i've got a piece of aluminium heatsink and a fan, it run about 30-35°C
I cool the controller, via a water cooled aluminium chillplate, but not the motor.

Is your field weakening enabled ? what does this do ?
I've left all that alone ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd be interested to know what you did there - are you taking DCL and CCL levels from the Orion over CAN and converting them to voltage levels for the X1 analogue input? I had taken analogue outputs from the X1, for DCL/CCL and passed them through an isolator to the X1, for analogue torque and regen limiting, but I have removed it for the time being to keep life simpler.
I have an arduino uno a canbus shield and an isolated canbus hat for raspberrypi. The circuit is powered by the SME 5V.
I have an unisolated Canbus shield to serve as a passthough for can messages from the SME to the rest of the car (motor RPM, inverter and motor temps) and from the rest of the car to the SME (%SOC, DC amps)
Yes, i'm taking the CCL and DCL over the isolated can to the Orion, values are then converted into percentage and that percentage (0-5V pwm) is what the arduino outputs to the SME DCL and CCL analog inputs (K1-22 and K1-23 for me)
I'm waiting on an answer from netgain about the DC amps to torque relation.

There is a good page here:
Quite intresting read, thank you

I've left all that alone ...
Is it enabled ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an arduino uno a canbus shield and an isolated canbus hat for raspberrypi. The circuit is powered by the SME 5V.
I have an unisolated Canbus shield to serve as a passthough for can messages from the SME to the rest of the car (motor RPM, inverter and motor temps) and from the rest of the car to the SME (%SOC, DC amps)
Yes, i'm taking the CCL and DCL over the isolated can to the Orion, values are then converted into percentage and that percentage (0-5V pwm) is what the arduino outputs to the SME DCL and CCL analog inputs (K1-22 and K1-23 for me)
Nice solution. I was frustrated that the Orion and the ACX1 cannot communicate CCL and DCL between them over CAN. I kept pestering Netgain and Ewert about it but I gave up - maybe there will be a firmware upate at some point to enable it. For now, I use the battery protection tab in SME to limit the regen if the pack voltage is high and the dicharge current if it is low. I set these limits inside the Orion limits so hopefully the Orion does not get triggered.

Field Weakening:
Is it enabled ?
I am using the default parameters in the Motor and Control tabs, so I assume that it is ...

61 - 80 of 90 Posts