DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
FYI Im guessing we can assume the rev limit of MG1 is 14,000 rpm. If the input is locked, -14,000 MG1 RPM = 10,230 MG2 RPM in high gear (it’s rev limit).

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Can anyone point me to a dimensioned drawing of the GS450H?
The transmission in the GS 450h is the L110, built by Aisin. The L110F is the same thing, plus a transfer case on the end for AWD, used in the LS hybrid. The L210 is a variation used in the IS 300h, RC 300h, GS 300h (it may be just the L110 but missing the two-speed output gearing; it may be a longitudinal variation of one of the transverse hybrid transmissions). The LC 500h and coming LS 500h use the L310, which is generally similar to the L110, but with a four-speed planetary mechanical transmission on the output (rather than the two-speed of the L110).

Unfortunately, I don't think that will help you find a dimensioned drawing, since there's not much reason for anyone to publish that to the public, other than another enthusiast sharing information. What you have already found and shared is probably about all you'll get.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
I found the following buried on an OpenInverter forum post. I'll add it here in case someone else is searching too.

Overall height (oil pan to top of bellhousing) is 39cm. Bell housing is full height, i.e. 39cm diameter, when the transmission is sitting on its oil pan (as it is on my bench), the bellhousing still just about touches the bench.

Widest point is 40cm, includes a bump for a starter motor which I don't believe the GS450h even has. Likely leftover to mate with the 2GR engine.

Overall length including tailshaft, output flange, and pilot shaft, is 82cm.

Transmission is tapered quite heavily, the width and height is closer to 25cm after the bellhousing, but hard to gauge due to various outcropping parts (motor cables, oil pump, PRNDL selector, etc)

Weight feels like in excess of 100kg, I'd say closer to 120-150kg.
Source:
https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=205&p=3542&hilit=gs450H#p3542
The comment about the starter motor bump is a hint at the reason for much of the shape: it has to bolt to Toyota engines just as a conventional transmission does. That's why it has a flared front (bell housing section), even though there is no clutch or torque converter in there. Depending on where the transmission is to be mounted as an electric-only drive unit, I would consider checking if some housing trimming can be done to remove bulk around the front.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m also pretty interested in grabbing one of these drivetrains next time one appears at the junkyard near me. Or maybe finding a cheap GS450h on Craigslist and just converting it!

Big question! Is the GS450h really the only car with this drivetrain?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m also pretty interested in grabbing one of these drivetrains next time one appears at the junkyard near me. Or maybe finding a cheap GS450h on Craigslist and just converting it!

Big question! Is the GS450h really the only car with this drivetrain?
The Lexus LS600h has an AWD version of it. Although they seem to be more rare.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Is the GS450h really the only car with this drivetrain?
That depends on how specific you mean when you say "this drivetrain"...
The transmission in the GS 450h is the L110, built by Aisin. The L110F is the same thing, plus a transfer case on the end for AWD, used in the LS hybrid. The L210 is a variation used in the IS 300h, RC 300h, GS 300h (it may be just the L110 but missing the two-speed output gearing; it may be a longitudinal variation of one of the transverse hybrid transmissions). The LC 500h and coming LS 500h use the L310, which is generally similar to the L110, but with a four-speed planetary mechanical transmission on the output (rather than the two-speed of the L110).
Yes, the GS 450h appears the only model with exactly the L110. All of the other variations listed above would be usable, but modifications done by others might not directly apply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In any case, no one needs to be or ever will be travelling 156mph in a goddamn Lexus. Or 114mph. Moot point.
No offense but you must not be very familiar with the very popular community that modifies Lexus SC300's and GS300's with turbocharged extremely high horsepower (650whp-900whp++) Toyota inline-six engines and who do exactly that up through 160mph or so in some of the crazier examples. The older SC chassis and suspension is 97% the same as a 90's Toyota Supra chassis and suspension which should explain why this is a thing. This has been and still is done in, as you put it "a goddamn Lexus".

I am *not* one who will go nearly that far with my own Lexus SC300 but it is geared for a maximum of 183mph at engine redline even though the speedo only goes to 160mph at which point the mere 350hp (turbocharged) that the car has probably would not be enough to go much faster than 150-155 or so. Unless aero or engine power were tweaked very significantly.

I'm not going to do that and I am certainly NOT advocating everyone travel at 150mph. I'm just saying that those particular turbocharged Lexus RWD cars (IS, SC, GS) are quite capable of those Autobahn level speeds and are hardly out of breath at only 114mph.

That covers the "or ever will be" part. The "No one needs to" part... I'm not going to argue with that as it's quite an obvious point as far as public roads are concerned.

I'd just prefer to replicate the original max speed spec of the chassis (or at least what it's speedo maxes out at) with an EV conversion of that chassis. Brand new high end ICE cars and high end EV cars alike offer very high top speeds that should never be used outside of the German unrestricted Autobahn or a racetrack. And yet people still buy them for some reason.

With this modified Lexus hybrid transmission the objective obviously isn't to match ridiculously high modified turbo ICE power levels. I'm very interested in it for either an IS300 or perhaps converting my SC. 250-270hp from this dual motor hybrid transmission would be quite fine given how different the power delivery is from an ICE.

Since it would take up far less space than a Toyota inline six engine and transmission there should probably be enough room to hook it up to a 2-speed transfer case such as from Torque Trends to solve the lack of gearing.

Barring that, instead of the 3.769:1 rear end ratio I mentioned a commonly available (for the 90's Lexus SC and GS vehicles) 3.26:1 rear end ratio would offer a slight improvement in the top speed department. Have to check to see if a similar 3.2x rear end ratio is out there for the IS300 chassis.

Now if this same modified GS450h gearbox-turned-drive-unit were to be dropped into an early 90's Mazda Miata which had an original top speed of 116mph then it would actually be a near perfect match if a 3.7-ish gear ratio for that car's differential exists. In that much lighter little chassis it would be quite a ridiculous power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Since it would take up far less space than a Toyota inline six engine and transmission there should probably be enough room to hook it up to a 2-speed transfer case such as from Torque Trends to solve the lack of gearing.
A two-speed gearbox can be an effective way to manage the wide range of operating speeds required of a fast car, and the ev-TorqueBox from Torque Trends is a suitable reduction box... but it is a single-speed product - it does not shift between two ratios. Within the Lexus range of hybrid transmissions, the range of speeds would be best accommodated by any of the models with internal output gearing (2 ratios in the L110; 4 ratios in the L310).

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow assuming i could figure this out this might be the perfect thing for a Safari van conversion since i can't find one that uses manual... I haven't the foggiest idea what that jumble of parts he is using on the E65 are though. Damien Maguire if you could let me know that'd be awesome

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Damien is definitely too busy to respond to individual project questions, he's solving big problems. He's said as much. He doesn't even have time to answer questions about people using his own hardware, if it can be avoided. And he's almost never here anymore (he hangs out on Open Inverter).

It's not rocket science. You take the drivetrain out of the lexus and you put it into your donor vehicle.

A Safari might be a poor choice because it's built vertically, with the engine more accessible from inside the cab through the doghouse than through the engine bay.

Also, a Safari is going to use like 1000 watt-hours per mile. The couple I've seen done reported about that kind of power draw. It's a 7 foot tall brick moving through the air.

That said, I don't know what would be a better choice. Safaris are a weird form factor to have to fit and engine and trans into and still be RWD (some are AWD).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damien is definitely too busy to respond to individual project questions, he's solving big problems. He's said as much. He doesn't even have time to answer questions about people using his own hardware, if it can be avoided. And he's almost never here anymore (he hangs out on Open Inverter).

It's not rocket science. You take the drivetrain out of the lexus and you put it into your donor vehicle.

A Safari might be a poor choice because it's built vertically, with the engine more accessible from inside the cab through the doghouse than through the engine bay.

Also, a Safari is going to use like 1000 watt-hours per mile. The couple I've seen done reported about that kind of power draw. It's a 7 foot tall brick moving through the air.

That said, I don't know what would be a better choice. Safaris are a weird form factor to have to fit and engine and trans into and still be RWD (some are AWD).
okay looks like i'd be better off with a small truck.. I just want to build a small camper, I was just wondering has anybody used the Tahoe hybrid transmission? Seems like a similar part. i'm trying to decide if using the 450H hybrid transmission is worth it since it seems to be oil cooled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just found out about his post yesterday and spend last night watching al Damien's video's on youtube about this transmission/motor. Read everything on OpenInvertor forum and almost hit the 'buy it now' button on Ebay for one of these transmissions.
All looks very easy, buy transmission and inverter, buy one of Damien's boards bolt it all together and there you go :)

But decided to spend a good night of sleep on it.

Needed:
Transmission with everything attached to it,
cables/wiring loom
oil pomp and oil pump controller,
shifting stuff,
rear flange,
matching inverter,
Damien's controller board,
and what else?

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Why do i need to program it? Isn't Damiens board pre-programmed?
You'll want to tune it to your particular motor.

To do that, you have to connect to the brains somehow. To do that, wifi is easiest.

I'm not sure if Damien includes the Olimex Wifi board with it or not. The product page doesn't say.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So the Lexus inverters and the Lexus transmissions are not interchangeable? I thought i had read everything about them but i must have missed that. Let's dive into that.

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
So the Lexus inverters and the Lexus transmissions are not interchangeable? I thought i had read everything about them but i must have missed that. Let's dive into that.
Err, no.

There is no one correct setting for your inverter.

Damien's logic board does not simply replace the original, it interfaces directly with the inverter.

Johannes' Open Inverter software has dozens of motor parameters that you can tweak and change to get different performance out of your motor. Further, you can use the data it pulls from the inverter to configure CAN components, screens, etc.

The Open Inverter software is updated and has features added to it several times a year.

The vehicle you put the motor into may change how you want the motor to perform.

So it's not the situation where you order parts, put them together, and then it stays that way forever.

Plus, if there's ever glitches or bugs, you'll need a way to reflash firmware or update things.

The whole point of the Open Inverter software is that it can work with any motor you give it to. The whole point of Damien building the logic board is so that that inverter can power any motor you plug into it, not just a Lexus transaxle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well i must have misunderstood the whole thing :)

I thought the board Damien makes was to get the gs450h gearbox to work with the gs450h inverter without the rest of the car around it.
But as you explain it the board is to use the gs450h inverter and use any motor you want.

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
I thought the board Damien makes was to get the gs450h gearbox to work with the gs450h inverter without the rest of the car around it.
In the "every square is a rectangle" paradigm, yes.

His board lets you use the GS450H inverter to drive the GS450h transaxle without having the rest of the car.

... or any other motor.

A motor is agnostic as to what's driving it. Voltage and waveform and it responds accordingly.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts