DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yes, good luck.
It looks like you have many of the main components, and control solutions seem to becomming available.
What is your plan for battery and where to locate it ?
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Control it ? No idea -

Once I get organized I'm going to do a forensic-like examination of the motor/inverter, probably most detailed on the inverter to see what I've got and start to get an understanding of the best path(s) forward.
I assume you have seen and read the other threads from folks working with the Tesla drive train ?
In particular that of "Eldis". Who had focussed on that Tesla inverter/ controller.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152890&highlight=tesla

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The Tesla drive unit has the advantage of being able to remove the transmission which shaves a few extra pounds...
Jeff
Jeff, ....are you planning to just use the Tesla motor, without the transmission ?
In another thread, it was stated that the motor casing and end plate was an integral part of the trasmission casing ? Have Tesla changed that on these 70D units ??

From the "Fun with Tesla Motor" thread...
The motor "face" and bearings are a part of the gearbox assembly, plus you have a water jacket through the rotor. So if you somehow hack apart the gearbox cast, you will find a splined shaft entering the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Anything is possible, but i cannot imagine much mechanical noise coming from the inverter. And i understood the "grinding noise" issue was identified as coming from the transmission area ?
By shere coincidence, a pal of mine was waiting for a cab in the city yesterday, when a Mod S litterally came to a "grinding halt" right beside him.
His comment was that it sounded horrible, like a set of brakes with no pads fitted ! The driver had to park it, and looked very worried !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts