DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice project!

I'm planning on using the Tesla 70D drivetrain also, so I plugged the DeLorean into my EVcalc Google spreadsheet, using a Chevy Volt pack, and it looks like a range of [email protected] cruise, max speed 144mph, 0-60 ~4s

In fact you might be able to get to 88mph in under 7s.

(Bear in mind you have to run the flux capacitor at 20C to get that acceleration :) )

If you want to play with the variables here's the link

(If you want to make serious edits you'll want to make a copy in your G drive)

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi jetpax,

Are you including both motors from the 70D (front and rear). The motor I have is the rear motor from the 70D AWD (two equal sized motors), which is listed as 170kw (or 259HP). Entering this information, looks like it should give ~6 secs 0-60 based on your calculator link. Cool calculator btw.

I think it might come in a little lighter than 3300 lbs. The Tesla drive unit has the advantage of being able to remove the transmission which shaves a few extra pounds.

Thanks
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I had difficulty finding the numbers for the rear motor alone.

I've updated the sheet; do you have a source for the max/continuous torque numbers (performance can be torque-bound at low speed) and max RPM ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Weight is measured with a scale but an estimate based on two measurements (sum of weights lifting one side then the other) 210 lbs

Other measurements (again just rough)
- 22 in wide (motor to inverter), 26 3/4in wide including the mount
- trans final gear housing is 8" wide (shaft port to port)
- 13in tall
- 25in front to back, including mount on front and back
- drive shaft to motor centerline ~8in (measured from above)

Jeff
The inverter especially looks really small compared with the original Model S.

Is it the same as the attached pic, or do you have any more pictures of the motor inverter assembly (ie other side than you posted earlier)?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

My calculations suggest the torque number from a single 'new' motor must indeed be around 330Nm to achieve the performance that Tesla claim for the 90D, (which is half the published torque number, so that adds up) and its likely that this could be obtained from the 70D motor.

With the weight of the Model S this would mean only a grade of 19% so not great in hilly areas; however, if you can really keep your weight around 1500kg, you should be good for a 29% slope and a sub 6s 0-60.

And with a Chevy Volt pack it'll be good for [email protected]

Nice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts