DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, a few streets away from where I live (Leicestershire UK) is a Mk3 supra that is in a bad way. It's is covered in moss and the sun roof panel is missing meaning it is currently getting all of our lovely British winter weather inside. I am considering approaching the owner to see if I can take it off their hands. I am also assuming it's a non runner.

In my research looking at possible replacement engines, I had an idea of converting to EV. Whilst browsing ebay I stumbled upon a tesla model x p100d rear motor for sale. I understand these to output 500+ bhp. I then had the idea of using 2 of these motors as they look to be about the size of a normal size (ish) gearbox.

How difficult would it be to build this conversion using 2 p100d rear motors (one on each axle)? Would the total output be 1000bhp or less?

What should I use for batteries? I would be looking for 100-200 miles range but that's not too important.

What else would be needed to make this work?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts
2 starting questions
1) how much money do you have?
2) how much experience do you have?

Reason for question 1 is while you're aiming cheap by getting wrecked tesla p100d motors, getting the right batteries to power 2 of them simultaneously is not going to be cheap. cheap salvage batteries from other EVs like the volt or leaf to hit your 100mi target can probably run 1 of them max. you're either going to need somewhat custom batteries, or you're gonna need more space within the small constraints of the car for a cheap budget battery, which is the reason for my 2nd question: how much of the mk3 supra chassis are you comfortable with modifying?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 starting questions
1) how much money do you have?
2) how much experience do you have?

Reason for question 1 is while you're aiming cheap by getting wrecked tesla p100d motors, getting the right batteries to power 2 of them simultaneously is not going to be cheap. cheap salvage batteries from other EVs like the volt or leaf to hit your 100mi target can probably run 1 of them max. you're either going to need somewhat custom batteries, or you're gonna need more space within the small constraints of the car for a cheap budget battery, which is the reason for my 2nd question: how much of the mk3 supra chassis are you comfortable with modifying?
Thanks for your help. As far a budget goes, this will probably be a long term project so can stretch the cost over a long term. I have enough experience to be an amateur mechanic, but it's always been ICE and not a lot of experience with EV.

Its the battery side of things that I've realised will be a big cost.

Would you know how to source suitable batteries?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its the battery side of things that I've realised will be a big cost.

Would you know how to source suitable batteries?

Ideally a whole wrecked car like a leaf, or tesla, etc...
Get the stuff you want, then either part out the rest for 'profit', sell on whole or scrap

Otherwise keeping your eyes peeled online and maybe get in touch with some breakers yards for the types of vehicles you're looking for.

For 200 miles range in a vehicle that does 250Wh/mile or better you're looking at 50kWh of batteries, as a ballpark figure, quite a bit to fit in a car like the supra although i'm no expert on their internal structural layout

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have resources to put together a dual Tesla Large Drive Unit drivetrain from scratch, why would you start with a car in such piss poor terrible shape?

The components, and all the things required to finish the drivetrain that you are talking about, is very expensive. Its also very difficult from every aspect. From parts sourcing, drivetrain packaging and mechanics, fabrication, wiring, plumbing that is all completely custom, there's alot involved with the project you've proposed. And if it were completed, it would be wicked cool, one of the fastest ev conversions I've ever heard of. Probably deserves a decent starting chassis, considering the price of a somewhat decent roller would be a small fraction of the total build cost.

I think if you decide to spend the time/money/effort on a build of this caliber, then maybe you shouldn't start with a car that has the outside, inside. But no matter what you do, please post pics and share!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts