DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, this caught my eye pretty handily

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=476
mostly because it has the whole inverter and motor controller shenanigans sorted out already. As in, it's the annoying/hard part of tesla drive units completely sorted so you only need to worry about mounting the drive unit properly, not to mention all the power settings are built into that tablet so there's a lot less fooling around with software.

but has anyone actually used this kit and can comment on it? Is it not actually that good and leaves a lot out, etc?

·
Registered
329 Posts
so, this caught my eye pretty handily

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=476

mostly because it has the whole inverter and motor controller shenanigans sorted out already. As in, it's the annoying/hard part of tesla drive units completely sorted so you only need to worry about mounting the drive unit properly, not to mention all the power settings are built into that tablet so there's a lot less fooling around with software.

but has anyone actually used this kit and can comment on it? Is it not actually that good and leaves a lot out, etc?
That setup is super expensive... it seems nice if you have the cash to blow and dont want to bother with figuring it out, but you still have to get batteries, charger, etc. on top of that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but how much would you actually save by skipping this and going with junkyard bought stuff along with open source controllers and front end (tablet)?
five grand? eight?

·
Registered
329 Posts
yes, but how much would you actually save by skipping this and going with junkyard bought stuff along with open source controllers and front end (tablet)?

five grand? eight?
There are a lot of options for open source control boards for various inverters that run between 300 and 900ish. There are also open source builds for complete inverters in the same range.

At that point, whatever you get the motor for. I got the Nissan leaf motor and inverter for $500, and I'm using aboard from Paul for $350. If you get a drive unit for a couple grand and the controller, you saved about $9,000. It's just a lot of money to just control a drive unit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This kit is for a S85 and not the P85. The EV TC-1 controller is 3,500, the drive shafts $1000, a p85 $5000, open inverter $500. Pedals $200, that’s 6,700 for another way around.
Then $500 for a BMS, $1000 charger, open source board for charger $400. Batteries $4500
For the same price you can pretty much buy a whole kit rather than the starter kit. But, and it’s a big but, you get support. That’s not to say there is not support here but there is a S:N ratio that’s hard to ignore. You really should put your goals on paper first, then match to known components and lastly adjust for budget. Your not driving 500km on 30kw for $1200. so make budget your last stop.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It’s also worth mentioning EV West are in my dealings with them a great company to work with. I have nothing but good things to say about the buying process and they have given me unbiased advice along the way. It just happened that my goals required a different direction so I ended up buying my stuff in component form. But you can do a lot worse than use a company who is working to expand the hobby.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It’s also worth mentioning EV West are in my dealings with them a great company to work with. I have nothing but good things to say about the buying process and they have given me unbiased advice along the way. It just happened that my goals required a different direction so I ended up buying my stuff in component form. But you can do a lot worse than use a company who is working to expand the hobby.
I will second that sentiment. Those guys are 10/10.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts