DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I bought a rather used Saab 99 -73 (rust-free!) a couple of years back, but the ICE and associated parts started giving me grief already on the way home. Currently the engine with transmission is out of the car and I started thinking of converting it to electric instead. I have a '64 96 in the garage waiting for a conversion, but it's been postponed for the other big project currently on-going - building a new house. However, I can't just let go of doing the 99 electric as well (or first), so I figured if I detailed my thoughts here I might get some good pointers? :p

Anyway, the car has a curb weight of 1140 kg (with driver) with good aerodynamics, but an engine with only 65 kW (88 hp) power. To abide by regulations, the new motor should not be above 65 kW either. I have been looking at taking a spare transmission and cut it where the differential axle begins. According to drawings of the transmission, the axle to the differential hold its own and should be able to directly connect to an electric motor. The ratio of the differential is 4.22:1 and using the standard tires with a circumference of ~1897 mm, it would mean that a motor running at ~4800 rpms would give me a speed of 130 km/h. Quite good.

So, for the parts. I've been looking at the HPEVS AC51-27.28 in a kit together with a Curtis controller and other tidbits. Does this choice make sense? Are there other/better alternatives around? As for the batteries, I'm quite interested in the CALB 180 Ah ones. The ICE engine weighs about 132 kgs and if I'm able to connect the HPEVS engine (~52 kgs, same as the entire transmission) directly to the differential, I should be able to have almost all of the weight and space of the ICE engine block available for batteries. That would amount to some 20 batteries, given that the differential at least weighs something. The space and weight of the 45 l gasoline tank in the back should help house some batteries as well, together with the trunk (max load regulation-wise rated at 420 kg).

As might be seen, I've been looking heavily at the Zelectric bug specs, the curb weight is almost the same, but the ICE engine on the bug was even smaller. The bug has 37 batteries fitted which look to be a rather good match for me as well.

Rangewise, I'm after a commuter car for shorter distances, but I also thought of expanding the number of batteries after a while to get me going first and then add some range.

Things I haven't looked at yet is BMS and chargers, so any pointers here would be most helpful.

·
Administrator
6,106 Posts
Where are you? - quite important

Batteries - Used EV batteries are your best bet these days - a fraction of the cost and much higher quality

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I'm based in Uppsala, Sweden.

I've been thinking about used EV-batteries as well, but that depends on how easy it is to get hold of. They seem to be much cheaper in the US for instance, with a higher availability, but I don't know if they're that easy/cheap to ship here. I've been looking at scrap yard websites in Sweden, but I am yet to find a listing for the batteries (I've seen the electric motor etc). I probably need to give them a call and find out the deal. I've seen you using the Volt packs, do you use any electronics from that system then, or only the batteries themselves?

I might've been a bit too heavily influenced by the Zelectric bugs, but it seemed like a good starting point... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts