DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested I am currently reverse engineering the Toyota Prius Gen 3 Inverter with a view to designing a replacement logic board based on the Heubner system. The goal is to allow use of the two main inverters, boost converter and DC DC converter. Each inverter stage will be controlled by a separate logic section for maximum flexibility. Boost converter and DC DC will probably be controlled by a simple arduino.

Video coverage of this is via live stream only. Currently 3 episodes are out with the next on due on 18/11/18 at 7pm Irish time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCuiGexKsYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6yiwJd-S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmSAMRRfF4

This is a fully open source project. I will put up a github repo as soon as I can get the information put together. For those who want to play along I have attached photos of my notes.

Some interesting findings so far :

• current sensors are 5v centered and react at 10mV/A
  • Current sensors use +/-5v and 26v power supplies
  • Unlike the GEN2 all 6 igbt drive lines are available at the logic board
  • IGBT drive lines are active high 5v and must be pulled low
  • PWM frequency of 5khz used for main inverters and 7.45khz for the boost converter
  • Connector used for igbt board to logic is a JST BM50B-SHLDS-G-TFT, any help finding this in stock somewhere much appreciated.
  • Current and temp sensors use JST CPT headers like the Telsa large drive unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice work! Very cool

Would it also be possible to skip the boost converter since it’s power limited to like 27kW?

Any plans to utilize the AC compressor power stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work! Very cool

Would it also be possible to skip the boost converter since it’s power limited to like 27kW?

Any plans to utilize the AC compressor power stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes of course. The boost converter can also be used as a battery charger;)
On the Gen 3 prius the AC compressor has its inverter built in so not present in the inverter

·
Registered
196 Posts
On the Gen 3 prius the AC compressor has its inverter built in so not present in the inverter
Any information you have on controlling the Denso AC compressor's integrated inverter could be quite useful; This MITERS blogger used an ES27 IPM to drive a bicycle up to 50mph, but made a custom housing and used his own electronics to drive it:
http://www.austin-b.com/toyota-highlander-hybrid-denso-es27c-a-c-compressor-teardown/

The ES34C motor is rated about 7.4kw at 8600rpm, so with a compact single stage reduction you could mount a pair in the space where a RWD diff would have been, and use the stock housing's channels to actively cool them. 15kw is the max power for a heavy quadricycle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have the part number of the inverter you are looking at?

I'm seeing various different numbers on eBay.
G9200-47190
G9200-47241 - possibly gen4?
G9201-47051
G9201-47040
G9200-76011

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you planning to use a gen2 or gen3 transaxle for your testing or doesn't it matter? I think I saw in your transaxle video it was a gen2 and you welded the planetary gears.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gen 2 for the first tests then Gen 3.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankfully no one responded to my last post as I solved the issue with Chip1stop. Seems if I pay in USD instead of EUR my card works. Got 10 of the sockets on the way.

Have quite a few of the signals on the 50 way header worked out. Last piece of the puzzle are the igbt driver fault signals. In order to find these I will have to cut some of the legs from the driver pcb to the igbt block. Rather than do this to the Prius inverter I picked up an Auris inverter for 50 Euros and took it apart. All but identical on the inside.

I'll get a Github repo setup soon and post updates on there and on Patreon as from what I can see this forum is dying:(

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
So following a tip on youtube we have a source of the JST connector :

https://www.chip1stop.com/IRL/en/product/detail?partId=JST1-0008157&mpn=BM50B-SHLDS-G-TFT(LF)(SN)

The bad news is no matter how I have tried to pay these guys with a card it won't go through. If anyone would be willing to have a go at ordering some of these I'd be happy to pay.
Yes that website is too complicated to order from.

Just be careful with chip1stop, they could not give me delivery cost. for connectors that only cost $6

DHL came to my door with a invoice of a whopping £53 :eek:. i refused delivery :(

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now have worked out all but two of the pins on the 50 way interface header to the igbt driver. Github repo is up. Not much there now until I work out a V1 logic board.
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Prius-Gen3-Inverter

Does anyone have any information on the large Tyco header socket used on the logic board?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great info, thanks.

With the boost converter pins, 19 - Boost high / low and 23 Boost con high / low, what do the signals look like?

Is one pulled to ground or +5v for mode and the other pwm signal?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The igbt driving signals are a little weird. Each block of drivers (MG1,MG2 and boost converter) have their own 5v supply that must be provided. Their respective drive pins then pop up to about 4.5v and the relevant gate is pulled to zero volts. In order to switch on an Igbt, the respective drive pin must be pulled to ground via a 91R resistor.

So to answer your question, in order to run the converter it's 5v supply must be enabled. Then to boost, the low side must be pulsed and to buck the high side must be pulsed. It will make more sense once I have a circuit diagram done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info.

As a side note, I've just joined your patreon at the beta board tier but I've buggered up the address :D EDIT ** Nevermind, figured out how to sort it out.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info.

As a side note, I've just joined your patreon at the beta board tier but I've buggered up the address :D EDIT ** Nevermind, figured out how to sort it out.

Thanks very much:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts