DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw postings around attempting to build a new battery pack to extend the range of a Rav4 EV. Has anyone attempted or done it using used Tesla battery packs? Or is there another less time consuming way to try this? I am not an electrician or electrical engineer. Just really like the vehicle, its capacity, etc.

Also Toyota strongly recommends not using the Rav4 EV to tow a trailer, etc. They warn it would void the warranty, but with the exception of the battery itself. So what are the consequences and why?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Also Toyota strongly recommends not using the Rav4 EV to tow a trailer, etc. They warn it would void the warranty, but with the exception of the battery itself. So what are the consequences and why?
A reasonable guess would be that towing adds a lot of drag, so the vehicle must work much harder while towing, and sustained high load is probably an overheating problem for the battery, the electronics (controller/inverter), and the motor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ive done exactly this. Check out my youtube channel youtube.com/jimbo69ny

I am currently building V2 that includes a tesla 85kwh pack under a foamie camper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts