DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Made some really good progress last night into the wee hours - also got the latest code uplaoded!

Circuit component Light Blue Electrical wiring Line

In other news I order a pedal and got this one by mistake by an ebay seller - got a refund and a free new pedal but I can't find the pin out on it. If anybody know it that would awesome!
Camera accessory Gadget Bicycle part Cable Font Bumper Finger Automotive exterior Wood Automotive tire

·
Registered
74 Posts

Someone told me that is is a redundant potentiometer, so this might be the answer.

On th other Hand, I also found this in the net (which probably is from another type of pedal, since there are pins # 7 and 8):

And finally here ist the (HELLA!)- pedal in my car (based on a Th!nk from Norway):

Please note that in this original wiring diagram there is one pin missing (cannot tell which one: #1 or #6), which needs to be connected to ground. The connections # 52, 7, 45, and 30 are at the controller.

Hope this does help.
Markus

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So I've been playing with the idea of just locking the diff and putting a clutch on each side of it but I can't seem to find a stand alone clutch. That or my google skills are lacking. I looked at electronic clutches but that is not really what I need as I need it to ease in and out not just lock. I was debating of taking a regular clutch and the fabricating a housing and the clutch inside with an output and input. It shouldn't be too hard would just be a little pricy to get cnc'ed. I also thought about just getting two manual transmission cutting them up but that seems like to much a hack job for what I need.

If anyone know anything that would be amazing!

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I've been playing with the idea of just locking the diff and putting a clutch on each side of it but I can't seem to find a stand alone clutch. That or my google skills are lacking. I looked at electronic clutches but that is not really what I need as I need it to ease in and out not just lock. I was debating of taking a regular clutch and the fabricating a housing and the clutch inside with an output and input. It shouldn't be too hard would just be a little pricy to get cnc'ed. I also thought about just getting two manual transmission cutting them up but that seems like to much a hack job for what I need.

If anyone know anything that would be amazing!
That's why it might make sense to go with 2 motors! lol You'll pay one way or another. That said, I'd go with the manual transmission route, since you are clearly good at fabrication.
Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
That's why it might make sense to go with 2 motors! lol You'll pay one way or another. That said, I'd go with the manual transmission route, since you are clearly good at fabrication.
Bill
Yeah I've been playing with a ton of ideas with this guy as I work on it and how to save space in the actual tank and make it comfy for 4 people. My latest "idea" is have have the motor run a hydraulic pump system and run a articulated trailer in that it will hold the HV batteries and extra storage. I like this idea, as it makes running each track, turret, trailer all off a couple pumps. The only thing I'd be worried about is speed. I'm only shooting for 25mph but I'm not sure a hydraulic pump can reach that.
It will also add a level of safety if there is ever an issue with the HV battery when you stuck inside the tank. I got the idea after stumbling across a bunch of articulated tracked utv's. That or actually just run the GS450H motor in the trailer and a driveshaft through the articulation and an open diff brake system. Still plenty of time to figure it out but it's def been a blast learning all this stuff
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper
Sky Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Combat vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
Ouch, rough man. (For those that didn't watch, he spent $1300 on 8 custom CNC'd swing arms, but forgot that there is a left and right side and the parts can't be clones, they have to be mirrored. So 4 of them will work, and he needs to order a mirrored set for the opposite side).

I get that you want to use up everything you paid for, and add more so you use 6 of them so there's only 2 "wasted", but... now instead of ordering 4 new mirrored ones, you have to order 6 new mirrored ones. This just directly adds to your mistake. You're buying 6 instead of 4. Even if you'll have 4 wasted, you'll still have minimized the cost of your error if you stick with 4 like you originally planned.

I'd say that since the design just needs to be mirrored, that perhaps the CNC shop would be willing to give you a deal, since the CAM and fixturing work should be fairly minimal on a mirrored part. Also, they may have some sympathy that you fucked up, and decide that unless they're booked 24/7, to run them for you at significant discount in their downtime.

Another thing too late to consider... aluminum never hits a fatigue limit. Unlike steel, it fatigues and degrades forever. It might not have been a good choice for a swingarm in suspension parts on something you want to use more than just as an occasional demo. It's carrying the weight of a tank and getting beat up and bashed around and taking the force of running the machine. It's definitely going to be stress cycled to failure, it's just a matter of, to what degree and how quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Ouch, rough man. (For those that didn't watch, he spent $1300 on 8 custom CNC'd swing arms, but forgot that there is a left and right side and the parts can't be clones, they have to be mirrored. So 4 of them will work, and he needs to order a mirrored set for the opposite side).

I get that you want to use up everything you paid for, and add more so you use 6 of them so there's only 2 "wasted", but... now instead of ordering 4 new mirrored ones, you have to order 6 new mirrored ones. This just directly adds to your mistake. You're buying 6 instead of 4. Even if you'll have 4 wasted, you'll still have minimized the cost of your error if you stick with 4 like you originally planned.

I'd say that since the design just needs to be mirrored, that perhaps the CNC shop would be willing to give you a deal, since the CAM and fixturing work should be fairly minimal on a mirrored part. Also, they may have some sympathy that you fucked up, and decide that unless they're booked 24/7, to run them for you at significant discount in their downtime.

Another thing too late to consider... aluminum never hits a fatigue limit. Unlike steel, it fatigues and degrades forever. It might not have been a good choice for a swingarm in suspension parts on something you want to use more than just as an occasional demo. It's carrying the weight of a tank and getting beat up and bashed around and taking the force of running the machine. It's definitely going to be stress cycled to failure, it's just a matter of, to what degree and how quickly.
Yeah I talked with the shop and they are giving me a discount on the next time I order and whether I get 4 or 6 it will be the same price - once I hit a threshold on price it just caps instead of getting higher. I'm ok with the aluminum - it will last a very long time with it being so thick and with it being most likely powder coated it will protect it from the elements. Plus almost all swing arms - a arms and suspension parts are made from aluminum today. I have a 12 year old motorcycle with aluminum parts and still going strong.

Plus this isn't a daily driver or anything - more like a concept vehicle, which in a sense it is. I really just want to build a tank, and need a project to work on that satisfies the itch to work with my hands. Heck I've even seen a baja truck with really long swing arms out of cnc'ed aluminum. I really like pushing myself to do things I've never done before and somethings I get it right - sometimes not so much. Thanks a lot for the help and I will keep these ideas in my mind as I think about everything!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry I know the conversation has moved on since discussing the steering using individual brakes. But I made this unit from two hydro handbrakes. It works very well. Each cylinder operates one of the back brakes. Pushing the lever forward turns right, pulling back turns left.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry I know the conversation has moved on since discussing the steering using individual brakes. But I made this unit from two hydro handbrakes. It works very well. Each cylinder operates one of the back brakes. Pushing the lever forward turns right, pulling back turns left.

View attachment 123221
That is very cool! See this is why I love the community - so many amazing ideas and smart people.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts