DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in the tranny, now connected to the electric motor, and the only mount i can reuse is the back right tranny mount. I plan on fabricating a front mount in the same spot as the original, and some sort of back motor mount that will cradle the motor.

My question is, how close to stock the the tranny have to be. I have the axles connecte, but the tranny is most likely a bit lower or higher than it originally was. I cant think of a way to test how off it is compared to stock. Is it even a big deal to have it a bit off? Should i be worried?

Also any suggestions on how to mount this thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
The concern would be CV joint life - if the angles are significant different, then you may chew up driveshafts faster... The CVs are meant to have some play, so a bit of movement is okay.

I also did a transverse mounted engine - I adapted an old motor mount and bolted it to the passenger side frame - to do this securely, I opened up the outside of the "frame" (if you can call it that) and welded in steel plates which sit on the inside of the frame - I then through-bolted the motor-mounts through the thickened frame, then welded it all up again.

Hanging from the motor mount I made a steel plate with the motor mount bolt pattern - the plate was also big enough so I could attach a bracket for my A/C compressor (driven off of a pulley on the tail-shaft).

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
You should try to fit the trans in the original position if at all possible. It is better for the driveshafts, the gear stick connections and the oil level in the trans.

You have one mount so that is a good start.

Place the car level with jacks or stands are required.

With that mount installed you can level the trans so that the shafts are all level across the width of the car. A spirit level on the motor frame will determine this. This will set the level side to side.

To set the level front to back place a spirit level on the two bolts at the top of the bell housing. These are usually level front to back. You can rotate the trans until they are level.

Once the trans is in the correct position, or as close as you can realistically and practically get it, you can then start fabricating the other mounts to fit between suitable points on the trans and motor and the original mounting points on the body frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very nice Blog Jake. I have gotten some good ideas form it. Find a VW Jedi like yours an take some measurement's from it. Also try pushing down on the front of the car an watch your axle's you will see that they move up an down, that may help you decide how close you care about where your tranny sits? When you put your battery's in the front that alone will change the tranny angle to the axle's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts