DIY Electric Car Forums banner

transmission less conversion

11K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  electro wrks 
#1 ·
Hi

Has anyone done a motor direct connect to driveshaft conversion? What adapters or solutions did you come up with, or anyone know of any examples? I need to go directly from the motor to the driveshaft. Any help be appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Cool build Duncan,

What im looking to do is mount the electric motor up front in engine bay area where the old gas engine and transmission lived. Connecting it to the original drive shaft to the original diff in the rear. Im looking for ideas on how to mate the electric motor shaft to the yoke on the drive shaft.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
My brain hurts now...lol...So the original transmission had a male splined shaft and the drive shaft had a female splined piece that fit into it...This is a 54 Ford...So Im having issues of how to mate this key shaft electric motor into it...This is my first attempt into doing an electric conversion and trying to figure out to combine the modern to the old:confused:

Discussion starter · #12 ·
So, What about if I got a coupler that mated the keyed shaft on one side and a six inch section of the output shaft from the original transmission? This would be able to slip into the original driveshaft. Would it be an issue strength wise being this length? Also, would it be an issue of the output shaft being in the slip yoke without the collar that was on the transmission tail piece?

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Ok, so there is travel in the middle. So this is a full drive shaft or a segment piece to complete the length from my motor to the existing drive shaft. Please bear with me if Im asking stupid questions, this is the area of the build I'm confused with

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I guess I could, would I still need a new driveshaft? I could even move the motor mid ship and hook into the diff. But, in any of these configurations I would need a slip drive shaft of some sort, correct?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Interesting info. I am still in the early stages of this project so am open to all possibilities. The car had an automatic transmission so i'm in search of a manual swap. But they are pricey.

It is a heavier car but the car is being placed on an extreme diet and hope to get it down to 2200-2500 pounds.

Now mounting it in the rear is an interesting idea. What is it you mean to mount it to the rear carrier?

I can someway get air to the motor, the car had fresh air inlets at front grill that I can use ducting to get air anywhere, but that would only help at higher speeds.

So, I am looking for ideas, any info at all would help me greatly

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Here's an idea I was thinking about. I still have the output housing and shaft from the transmission. If I could modify it to mount to the electric motor and it would solve a lot of problems. Here's the issue with that:

The original set up fed ATF to keep the output shaft for lubrication.

What if I tapped the housing for grease fittings to pump grease into the areas in question? Would this even work?

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Im somewhat little informed on this but Im looking to find a taper lock bushing with the bolt on hub all in a set. Im in the USA so does anyone know companies that sell them as a set? I have an 1 1/8th shaft on my motor. Im just trying to leave the guess work out of it, if any of you know where to get?

Thanks

Discussion starter · #62 ·
Im somewhat little informed on this but Im looking to find a taper lock bushing with the bolt on hub all in a set. Im in the USA so does anyone know companies that sell them as a set? I have an 1 1/8th shaft on my motor. Im just trying to leave the guess work out of it, if any of you know where to get?

Thanks
Are their any EV companies that sell them, or other good resources to buy them as a unit? I seem to find one place that sells the insert and then another that has the flange to bolt to the other side of the drive line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.